VMware Cloud Community
TommyLindqvist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update management service at 100% CPu after patching to 4.1.0 build 345043

Hello,

Recently patched our Windows 2008R2 server that hosts vSphere Server with the above patch.

After that, the Update management service starts a java process that runs at 100% CPU, and wont

let up.

Rebooting server or Restarting service makes no apparent difference.

Also, killing java.exe only makes it reappear after a couple of seconds.

Memorywise it looks correct.

Any clues on where to start looking for what it is trying to do ?

File included is from procmon, which says that result of java-call is NAME NOT FOUND

I could not find a way to cut'n paste, so text file included instead.

Regards

Tommy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joshchilcott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uninstalling all previously installed update manager clients and update manager itself, rebooting, and reinstalling update manager fixed the issue for me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Sigma201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem (java 100%) ....

0 Kudos
pcasserly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Experiencing the same issue.

Opened a case with Tech Support and will post if there is a resolution.

0 Kudos
joshchilcott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm also having this same issue and found the java.exe update manager link using the same process monitor tool from MS. Looks like I'll need to open a support case as well.

Josh

0 Kudos
pcasserly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Opened my case.

Instructed to uninstall and re-install Update Manager.

Will do it tomorrow and update if resolved.

0 Kudos
joshchilcott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uninstalling all previously installed update manager clients and update manager itself, rebooting, and reinstalling update manager fixed the issue for me.

0 Kudos
Sigma201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's OK for me after uninstall and reinstall VMware Update Manager.

Thanks for All

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

do you need to redownload all the patches after reinstallation?

0 Kudos
TommyLindqvist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answers guys.

And no, I did not need to redownload the stored patches. It remembered the configuration.

Regards

Tommy

0 Kudos
Sigma201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, i keep the configuration Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
vnephology
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys, I'm getting ready to open an SR on this. Any chance you able to get an root cause? I don't see re-install as a valid option. If there is an issue, I don't want to have to re-install every time we see it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
joshchilcott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my case, VMware support shared that my previously installed update manager was causing an issue with 4.1.0 build 345043. I did not uninstall my previous update manager before installing 4.1.0 build 345043. Support stated that it was best practice to uninstall previous versions of update manager before installing the latest version. Unfortunately I did not get more detail from VMware on the root cause nor did I further investigate due to the issue being remedied quickly with an uninstall/reinstall. This is the first time that I have seem the issue on this machine which has been upgraded many times since 4.0.

0 Kudos
Manofmilk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had exactly the same issue in our environment (java.exe *32 running at 100% CPU after upgrading vcenter to build 345043). We had also done an 'in place' upgrade of update manger without removing the existing version. As soon as update manger was uninstalled java.exe stopped running. We installed the latest version of update manager after a reboot of the vceneter server and we haven't had the issue return (so far).

0 Kudos
dutchyis007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

uninstall and reinstall did it for me. thanks everyone

0 Kudos
autoxr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Based on what everyone has stated above, I restarted the VMware vCenter Update Manager Service and it seems to have brought things back to normal.  Previously, I tried logging off all sessions and restarting the vCenter service (everything but a full server reboot); all were unable to bring the processor back down to normal.  I'm monitoring the server now to see if the CPU usage goes back to 100%.

0 Kudos
infusednz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bumping this as we have the same problem with vCenter 5.1 and update manger 5.1 Same issue. This helped resolve it. This started happening after installing the IBM SAN vCenter module. I believe they tried to share the same ports.

0 Kudos