Algon2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update host copy of VMware tools

Hi 

I'm hoping someone can help.

ESXi 6.7 U3

I want to update the copy of VMware tools held in the product locker of every host in our cluster.  At first I downloaded the latest version from the VMware website and then used WinSCP to copy the extracted files into each product locker on every host.  This can be a lengthy process. 

Is it possible to use VUM to push out the latest version of VMware tools to each host instead? 

When I go to the update section in VUM the latest version of Vmware tools doesn't appear - I've manually run the Patch downloads update but the latest "updates tools-light VIB" shown in VUM is from 23/02/21 which is old now.

Also, as a side question, when I use VUM to push out the VMware tools update to a guest VM, how is this happening?  It doesn't mount the ISO inside the guest so I'm intrigued as to how this is pushed out to the guest from the host.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, VMware releases a Tools Offline Bundle that can be imported into VUM then pushed as a patch.  This will update the Tools ISO on the hosts, which then can be pushed to the VMs.  I also believe that it may be part of the main VUM repository now, haven't checked in a few as I just have gotten in the habit of downloading the offline bundle.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, VMware releases a Tools Offline Bundle that can be imported into VUM then pushed as a patch.  This will update the Tools ISO on the hosts, which then can be pushed to the VMs.  I also believe that it may be part of the main VUM repository now, haven't checked in a few as I just have gotten in the habit of downloading the offline bundle.

Algon2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Spoiler

Ah yes, brilliant. I've downloaded the offline bundle, uploaded it into VUM and pushed it out to all the hosts.  Thanks for your help on this, Tibmeister!

Cheers