VMware Cloud Community
Andrew800
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update/Patch procedure with running VMs in a HA cluster

I have a cluster with 3 hosts with both HA and DRS enabled in a shared storage configuration.  This is a fairly new environment so I'm new to this process... but from what I recall, when I did this the last time (it was the first time), I remarked at how seamless this process was after warning people I was going to run patches and updates and that something might go down, just in case.  It was seamless because there was no downtime on any VMs, only hosts reboots after patching - therefore, VMs were moved automatically, I believe, when the hosts were put into maintenance mode.  The only thing notable was that I think I had to move running VMs back to the host(s) they were on after the updates were applied to the hosts that came back up.  This time, I just selected one host, scanned it, then staged the baselines/target, then did the remediation via the wizard.  I thought I followed the same routine I did last time but apparently not, since 2 VMs running on that host powered off and needed to be restarted once the host came back up.  What did I do wrong and how can I run this updating procedure to minimize/eliminate downtime?  Which option did I forget?  Is this possible and did I simply forget that I did things a bit more manually last time?  Should this be run from the cluster's UM tab instead of the individual hosts UM tabs?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Andrew800
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As it turns out, they were two test servers (VMs) that automatically power off since they have not been registered/activated yet.  I just find that it was an interesting coincidence that they were on just before I ran the updates and then powered off as I launched the update for the host that they were on.  I ran the other hosts the same way and the VMs migrated as expected before the hosts were in maintenance mode and rebooted.  Strange...

0 Kudos