VMware Cloud Community
Sanjuro7880
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager v. 4.1.0.6589 fails to scan single hosts, clusters etc..

This is annoying the heck out of me.. If anyone knows the fix.. Please dont hesitate to point it out!

Thanks!

Here's the rundown.. Server 2008 x64 SP2 vCenter server (vCenter v. 4.1.0.14766) ESXi 4.1 Update 2 (Build 582267)

Error in vCenter: "VMware vCenter Update Manager had an unknown error. Check the Tasks and Events tab and log files for details."

Checked the Update Manager logs from here: C:\Users\All Users\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs

Attached is a sample error.. This is seen throughout the logfile..

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

when was the last successful scheduled task for download of patch definitions for VUM?  You may try to run both scheduled task again and try to scan the host.  Also, vCenter is not running on the Host in which you are trying to scan?

0 Kudos
Sanjuro7880
Contributor
Contributor

Just realized that under the admin view, configuration tab, patch download settings has:

https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/index.xml

https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/csco-main-index.xml

They are showing: Not Connected.. Troubleshooting IE enhanced Security config, trusted sites etc.. Our environment is locked down.

I will post back if I find something.

0 Kudos
Sanjuro7880
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention that VUM is running on the vCenter Server..

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

i think you found your issue.  The patch repository is not current and that could be the cause of your errors.

0 Kudos
Sanjuro7880
Contributor
Contributor

The reason I'm not getting any patch downloads is because the update manager is not connecting to the hostupdate.com websites.. See attached..

I can hit these sites from IE on the same server without any issues. Ruled out firewall with the networking folks.. Ruled out GPO and local policy settings as well. It has to be VMware related..

Also, Every morning when I come in the "Check Notifications" tasks are always hung. I've tried canceling and re running the tasks to fix to no avail. I've tried restarting the Update Manager Service but it returns an error saying the se4rvice didn't respond in time.. Only way to fix that is to reboot the vCenter Server it's running on.

It seems the service stops operating after a while.

I have other environments within our Enterprise that I manage and NONE of them have the hostupdate.vmware.com connection issue but have the same issue with the VUM service hanging..

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

do you have a proxy server?  Under the configuration tab on VUM Administration can you "test connection"

0 Kudos
Sanjuro7880
Contributor
Contributor

No proxy.. Test connection to microsoft.com and vmware.com successful.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

..and if you hit the download now button, what happens?  I'm not 100% sure what's going on, but I wouldn't rule out a complete wipe and re-install of VUM to see if it helps resolve the problem.  You installed VUM off the same vCenter Media you installed vCenter from, correct.  The two versions must match.

0 Kudos
Sanjuro7880
Contributor
Contributor

That's when the error pops up in vCenter.. attached..

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
Sanjuro7880
Contributor
Contributor

So I ended up reinstalling it.. Found that the previous install was pointed to the 😧 where the csco and vmw metadata files for were located.. Reinstalled to the C: and can now connect to the hostupdate.vmware.com.

Reinstalled from the same disk that was used the first time.

Didn't change addresses.. Seems like it doesn't like to be pointed to the D:.

Only time will tell if the service locks up again...

Problem solved but question not answered...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

did you download patch definitions and then try and scan the host?  I bet once the patch repository gets populated your issue will be gone.

0 Kudos
Sanjuro7880
Contributor
Contributor

forgot to mention that in my last post.. yes got my updates etc..

0 Kudos