VMware Cloud Community
rsmclane
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager permissions

I have a custom roll set up for Cluster Administrators to give permissions to people for different clusters set on the Datacenter and propigates down. Under the "VMware Update Manage" section of permissions, they have the "Assign Baseline" and everything under "Manage Updates". We use UM for hosts only, not VMs. They can scan for updates fine, and on the Update Manager tab of a host, they'll even see if the host is compliant or how many updates are out of compliance. The problem comes when they click on the updates that are out of compliance, the window pops up but isn't populated. No updates show in any of the views. This also becomes a problem when they try and Remediate a host. Since part of the wizard brings up the updates in a baseline that need to be run (and the same as before, they can't see the updates), it gets stuck here. So, any ideas which permissions I'm missing and on what object?

I'm happy to provide further explanations of our permissions set up if something needs to be clarified.

Message was edited by: rsmclane

This is on Infrastructure 3.5/VC2.5

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Yes, can you provide more information about how permissions are setup for these users (i.e. on cluster, datacenter, etc).

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
rsmclane
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, here's a page describing our model. Let me know if I can clarify it any further.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

OK, next question is where are the baselines defined? Are they all defined on the Hosts & Clusters folder or do you assign them on a datacenter/cluster basis?

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
rsmclane
Contributor
Contributor

The baselines I use are modified versions of the built in Host baselines. Best I can tell, they are defined at the Hosts & Clusters level. Update Manager says that the baselines are all attached at the individual hosts.

0 Kudos