VMware Cloud Community
RobVM
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager had an unknown failure

A new problem with Update Manager. verison 4.0.0.3971. I cannot scan hosts. When I scan a host, I receive the error "VMware vCenter Update Manager had an unknown failure. Check Tasks and Events tab and logs for more details." Restarting the update manager services and rebooting the server did not help.

When I view the esxupdate.log there is no error message showing. Nothing helpful in the Update Manager events either. I can scan VMs, but not hosts. This is a new problem that I did not have before this week. I was able to scan my hosts and apply update01a, (although that was a challenge itself).

Any thoughts?

Thanks, -Rob

0 Kudos
7 Replies
danm66
Expert
Expert

if there's nothing in esxupdate.log on hosts, then sounds like it's not able to talk to the host. Are you using a different web port on the vcenter server or change any others during install? also, upload c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\vmware\update manager\logs\*log4cpp.log file.

RobVM
Contributor
Contributor

The problem seems to be resolved, I can scan all my hosts now. The clue was in the log4cpp.log file (Which I had reviewed once, but did not catch the error).

This is the important entry:

Host esxserver.our.domain power state is unknown, can't continue

Sure enough when I checked the Hardware Status tab in vCenter for that host, I received the pop-up "Hardware monitoring service not responding, the host is not powered on".

So I rebooted the host and clicked Update on the hardware status tab and the sensors started reporting data again. Then I ran a scan on a couple of my hosts and they ran without issue. We have three hosts in the cluster with HA enabled.

Thanks for the nudge.

-Rob

0 Kudos
RobVM
Contributor
Contributor

Verify al hosts in HA-enabled cluster are reporting hardware sensor data.

0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I have the same problem...

I have the same version of the update manager. Tried to update serveral host with no luck. Get the same error message as in this thread.

So I can scan vm's, but not host:(

Have checked the log4cpp.log and finds nothing like you have.

Also tried restarting the host, with no luck.

Have no error with the Hardware Status.

Can somebody help me?

0 Kudos
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also am seeing this issue. I opened a service request with support, but they have not provided a solution yet. Anyone had this issue and successfully resolved it?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

Since it is an unknown error, there are a variety of causes. If want us to help find the issue, please start a new thread and post the log files mentioned in this thread for the quickest resolution.

Tks.

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

I have the same problem.

But we have ESXi and the root file system was full. So we delete some files, reboot the host and it was possible to see the hardware status.

And now, it was possible to patch the host. Maybe its helpful.

Thanks

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos