VMware Cloud Community
kghammond2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update Manager fails to scan ESX4.0 hosts after vCenter migration to 4.1 (same name, different IP Address)

We migrated to 4.1 including both virtual center and update manager. During the migration, we retained the same host name, but change the IP Address of vCenter.

All worked well, but when we tried to scan for the 4.1 host upgrade, we received an error that the host could not be scanned for patches.

Our resolution was to remove the ESX 4.0U1 hosts from the cluster and then re-add them to the cluster. I believe the a sympton of our problem was that we retained the same computer name for vCenter but changed the IP address.

I am not sure if it was a name resolution issue or a SSL certificate issue, but one of the two or both seem to have been fixed by re-adding the host to the cluster.

Kevin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

can you post the exact error when you try to scan a host with Update Manager?

Check if you can resolve the FQDN of the vCenter Server

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
kghammond2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm,

Well, it now works for all our ESX 4.0 hosts...

We made two changes. Removed and re-added a ESX 4.0 host and we fixed the hosts file on each ESX host. It had an old IP Address listed for vCenter and it was missing a few other host IP Addresses.

We also added localhost.localdomain to the 127.0.0.1 line.

Not sure which fixed the problem...

Kevin

0 Kudos
kghammond2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe I should be a little more clear. After we modified the hosts file, we tried to scan for patches and it still did not work...

So either something reset with the hosts file over time, or something changed when we re-added the ESX 4.0 host to the cluster.

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Check if the hosts file is configured to point to IP address of vCenter Server. This IP address must match with the IP address configured in the DNS server which also point to vCenter Server.

In fact, you should use DNS Server instead of Hosts file. The name resolution it's a critical aspect of vCenter Server and Update Manager.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos