VMware Cloud Community
kp238
Contributor
Contributor

Update Manager 4.1 with ODBC error

I have updated my old Update Manager 4.0 U1 to Update Manager 4.1. SQL Server is Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005. All software is german language!

Update Manager log say:

"ODBC error: (42000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Latin1_General_CI_AS" and "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" in the equal to operation." is returned when executing SQL statement "{CALL vci_queryEntityBLStatus(?, ?, ?)}"

Step two i have removed Update Manager an deleted the Update Manager database in Management Studio Express. The error is still there.

Is this a bug or a failure in my sql config?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Luke_J_Smith
Contributor
Contributor

I did a fresh install of 4.1 and got the same issue.

My error came in assuming that VCDB and UMDB would use the same collation, given that VCDB is documented to use "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" as shown in the example script in "vsp_41_esxi_i_vc_setup_guide.pdf". None of the documentation i can find specifies the correct collation for UMDB, but apparently it needs "Latin1_General_CI_AS"

So now my script does this-

USE

GO

CREATE DATABASE ON PRIMARY

(NAME = N'vcdb', FILENAME = N'D:\MSSQL.1\DB\VCDB.mdf', SIZE = 10000KB, FILEGROWTH = 10% )

LOG ON

(NAME = N'vcdb_log', FILENAME = N'D:\MSSQL.1\Logs\VCDB.ldf', SIZE = 1000KB, FILEGROWTH = 10%)

COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

GO

CREATE DATABASE ON PRIMARY

(NAME = N'umdb', FILENAME = N'D:\MSSQL.1\DB\UMDB.mdf', SIZE = 10000KB, FILEGROWTH = 10% )

LOG ON

(NAME = N'umdb_log', FILENAME = N'D:\MSSQL.1\Logs\UMDB.ldf', SIZE = 1000KB, FILEGROWTH = 10%)

COLLATE Latin1_General_CI_AS

GO

USE

GO

CREATE USER FOR LOGIN

GO

USE

GO

EXEC sp_addrolemember N'db_owner', N'BUILTIN\Administrators'

GO

USE

GO

CREATE USER FOR LOGIN

GO

USE

GO

GO

USE

GO

CREATE USER FOR LOGIN

GO

USE

GO

GO

I've got no idea if you can change the collation in your situation or if you need to delete the database and start again. In my case thats what I did.

0 Kudos
Oizo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Did you manage to correct this without re-installing..?

If so, how did you do..?

Regards,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
Luke_J_Smith
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't. I was doing a new installation so i just uninstalled UM, deleted the DB, remade the DB and reinstalled.

I don't know if the collation can be changed on an existing database whilst keeping the data in it. I'm not much of a DBA.

0 Kudos
Oizo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm not either...

Thanks for your answer! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos