VMware Cloud Community
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Update Firmware/Driver using VMware Update Manager

Hello,

Can someone share step by step guide/blog explaining how can we update the firmware and driver versions for storage controller using the VMware Update manager on a VSAN environments. (We are using HPE servers as HW)

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
4 Replies
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, Hassan.

Here it is very well explained in my opinion: Updating Firmware in vSAN Clusters

However, this is my hand-made step by step.

Pre-checks:

1 - Verify drivers versions (Determining Network/Storage firmware and driver version in ESXi 4.x and later (1027206) | VMware KB​)

2 - Download the drivers and firmware files. Here is a useful link to get drivers download links https://hcl.captain-vsan.com/index.php

3 - To upgrade the firmware you may need to install a Vendor Tool to do it from vSphere, or directly upgrade from the One View console, or whatever the vendor IPMI console is.

4 - Make sure the vSAN cluster have enough capacity to keep, at least, 25% free when a host enters maintenance mode.

5 - Make sure you have an useful baseline created and attached to ESXi hosts.

Time for action:

1 - Import the drivers / firmware files into VUM and add them to the baseline.

2 - Enter the ESXi into maintenance mode. (You may use Ensure Accesibility to keep the data safe, but it really depends in each scenario and customer need)

3 - Remediate the ESXi

4 - Repeat 2 and 3 for each ESXi in the cluster.

Post update:

1 - Make sure to run a vSAN Skyline Health check and verify is in order.

2 - You may want to check manually if the drivers applied correctly in each ESXi. You can access this info in vSAN Skyline health tab, or with ESXCLI commands for each ESXi.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Update Manager area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

My main problem is how to Download vendor firmware tool, i am using HPE servers. i cant find the warning message under Host Updates to click download.

Where can i find it ?

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think you are confusing update manager patches and firmware versions. Update manager downloads the patches from vmware directly and maybe another vendor repository. In this case you may be using One View and it's possible that you may have to install the One View plugin to download firmwarem or directly from One View Console and install them separately.

To update a ESXi host or a cluster you need to go to "Updates" tab, attach a baseline and remediate.

0 Kudos