VMware Cloud Community
GeneNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to create Update Baseline: HostUpgradeChecksumFailure

Hi there,

Yesterday we just upgraded all our systems to vSphere 4 U1. I wanted to go the route of using VUM Upgrade Baselines since I had already downloaded the ISO/Zip files for U1 in the weekend. However, each time the VUM server tried to import the the appropriate U1 ISO/Zip for both ESX and ESXi, after what appeared to be a successful upload to the server, I received a "Failed to import upgrade. Error was: File Upload Error". This problem occurrs regardless of whether I uploaded from a remote client or the vCenter server itself. Subsequent retries comes up with the same error.

This is happening on our newly upgraded vCenter 4 U1 . I don't know if it ever worked on the prior vCenter 4, since I never utilized the Upgrade Baseline feature, as I just used standard VUM patching to update my servers, which worked a treat. I believe the patching still works after the upgrade.

I have checked my VUM Logs, and each time an upload, I receive the same consistent error:

In vmware-vum-server.log I receive:

Method integrity.UpgradeProductManager.importProduct threw undeclared fault of type integrity.fault.HostUpgradeChecksumFailure

In vum-log4j-fileupload.log I receive:

See Attached

Figuring its a Checksum Failure, I download the files again and double check the MD5sums, which are all correct. Yet the same error occurs. I have gone as far as reinstalling the VUM server a couple of times to start afresh, with no luck.

We are running on Win 2008 Std x86 and there are no other software applications on the vCenter server, other than SQL Server 2005 and vCenter itself(so no port conflicts). The VUM has been fresh installed with the default SSL keys, and has an SQL Server 2005 Backend database residing on the same machine.

I have opened a case with VMWare, but they haven't been totally responsive (I received an email from a support agent saying that he has been assigned my case and will contact me soon, and that's it so far... so much for Gold Support). If anyone has any ideas it would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Gene

0 Kudos
24 Replies
GeneNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mine was SR# 1458759471.

0 Kudos
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

Ours SR is # 1461127721

Later,

GC Mobley, IBM Tivoli

Later, GC Mobley
0 Kudos
runner194
Contributor
Contributor

Mine is SR# 1459238361

The only way to upgrade is to manually run the esxupdate command I'm afraid. I've done this to upgrade ours to esx 4 update 1. The website has a new esx-4.0.0-update01a.zip file, but this file also does not upload with vum-ie same upload error when file is being sent

Tony Mok

Technical Systems Analyst - IT

For and on behalf of

Pannone LLP - The Complete Law Firm

Email: tony.mok@pannone.co.uk

Tel: +44 (0)161 909 1460

Fax: +44 (0)161 909 4444

Web: www.pannone.com

Pannone LLP is ranked 3rd in The Sunday Times '100 Best Companies to Work For' 2009, was voted 'Regional Law Firm of the Year 2008' at the British Legal Awards, one of the 'Most Innovative Law Firms' by The Financial Times and 'Most Enterprising Law Firm' by Legal Business Magazine.

Pannone LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with number OC317202. Registered office: 123 Deansgate, Manchester M3 2BU. Tel: 0161 909 3000 Fax: 0161 909 4444 DX: 14314 Manchester 1. A list of members is available for inspection at the registered office, together with a list of those non members who are referred to as partners. We use the word "partner" to refer to a member of the LLP or an employee or consultant of Pannone LLP with equivalent standing and qualifications.

Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

This e-mail and its attachments are solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or communicate them to anyone. Please notify us immediately and delete this communication.

Please note that Pannone LLP monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will signify your consent to this.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

0 Kudos
support
Contributor
Contributor

Just FYI, VMware support pointed us to the following KB as a result of the SRs open:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016209

0 Kudos
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

I just reviewed the aforementioned KB article and the section stating that you CANNOT use the vCenter Host Update Utility to upgrade vCS ESX* hosts is the exact opposite of the recommendation given to me by the VMware engineers working my SR. In fact, the guy strongly recommended using the standalone host update utility to complete the updates since VUM was broken and that's what I did. The utility seem to work fine, as I updated all 9 ESXi 4.0 hosts in the cluster 1 by 1 for ESXi 4.0 U1.

So either the recommendation has changed, the KB article is wrong or I received an incorrect workaround from VMware Support that just happened to work and not break the systems.

Which is it?

Later,

GC Mobley, IBM Tivoli

Later, GC Mobley
0 Kudos