VMware Cloud Community
GeneNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to create Update Baseline: HostUpgradeChecksumFailure

Hi there,

Yesterday we just upgraded all our systems to vSphere 4 U1. I wanted to go the route of using VUM Upgrade Baselines since I had already downloaded the ISO/Zip files for U1 in the weekend. However, each time the VUM server tried to import the the appropriate U1 ISO/Zip for both ESX and ESXi, after what appeared to be a successful upload to the server, I received a "Failed to import upgrade. Error was: File Upload Error". This problem occurrs regardless of whether I uploaded from a remote client or the vCenter server itself. Subsequent retries comes up with the same error.

This is happening on our newly upgraded vCenter 4 U1 . I don't know if it ever worked on the prior vCenter 4, since I never utilized the Upgrade Baseline feature, as I just used standard VUM patching to update my servers, which worked a treat. I believe the patching still works after the upgrade.

I have checked my VUM Logs, and each time an upload, I receive the same consistent error:

In vmware-vum-server.log I receive:

Method integrity.UpgradeProductManager.importProduct threw undeclared fault of type integrity.fault.HostUpgradeChecksumFailure

In vum-log4j-fileupload.log I receive:

See Attached

Figuring its a Checksum Failure, I download the files again and double check the MD5sums, which are all correct. Yet the same error occurs. I have gone as far as reinstalling the VUM server a couple of times to start afresh, with no luck.

We are running on Win 2008 Std x86 and there are no other software applications on the vCenter server, other than SQL Server 2005 and vCenter itself(so no port conflicts). The VUM has been fresh installed with the default SSL keys, and has an SQL Server 2005 Backend database residing on the same machine.

I have opened a case with VMWare, but they haven't been totally responsive (I received an email from a support agent saying that he has been assigned my case and will contact me soon, and that's it so far... so much for Gold Support). If anyone has any ideas it would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Gene

0 Kudos
24 Replies
runner194
Contributor
Contributor

Hi GeneNZ, we have the exact same issue in our test environment, can you let me know if you get a response from vmware on this?

Many Thanks

Tony.

0 Kudos
LTOPPIN
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, same issue here as well. Nothing seems to work. Keeps us in the loop. I'm curious what they come back with.

TOPS

0 Kudos
GeneNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There hasn't been much development in this area as yet. I have been contacted by VMWare support finally, but the support engineer so far has simply provided me other ways of patching my hosts, instead of using the upgrade baseline, which is rather pointless since I want to fix this update baseline functionality.

Either way, I've written back to the engineer and told him to focus on fixing this update baseline functionality. Will keep you in the loop. Good to hear its not just me having this problem since when I did the initial Google search, I found nothing.

0 Kudos
runner194
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update gene. I've also raised the issue with tech support and await a response back. Will let u know if there is a fix.

Tony Mok

Technical Systems Analyst - IT

For and on behalf of

Pannone LLP - The Complete Law Firm

Email: tony.mok@pannone.co.uk

Tel: +44 (0)161 909 1460

Fax: +44 (0)161 909 4444

Web: www.pannone.com

Pannone LLP is ranked 3rd in The Sunday Times '100 Best Companies to Work For' 2009, was voted 'Regional Law Firm of the Year 2008' at the British Legal Awards, one of the 'Most Innovative Law Firms' by The Financial Times and 'Most Enterprising Law Firm' by Legal Business Magazine.

Pannone LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with number OC317202. Registered office: 123 Deansgate, Manchester M3 2BU. Tel: 0161 909 3000 Fax: 0161 909 4444 DX: 14314 Manchester 1. A list of members is available for inspection at the registered office, together with a list of those non members who are referred to as partners. We use the word "partner" to refer to a member of the LLP or an employee or consultant of Pannone LLP with equivalent standing and qualifications.

Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

This e-mail and its attachments are solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or communicate them to anyone. Please notify us immediately and delete this communication.

Please note that Pannone LLP monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will signify your consent to this.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

To: Tony Mok

Sent: Tue Nov 24 20:48:17 2009

Subject: New message: "Unable to create Update Baseline: HostUpgradeChecksumFailure"

A new message was posted in the thread "Unable to create Update Baseline: HostUpgradeChecksumFailure":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1425158#1425158

Author : GeneNZ

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/GeneNZ

0 Kudos
LTOPPIN
Contributor
Contributor

Okay maybe I'm missing something here. Why have it as an option but turn around offer different ideas on how to get it done??

I remember doing this at vmworld but it was already setup. oh, well I guess we sit and wait for them. I can do them manually no problem but it would be nice to use VUM to get it done.

Thanks again!

LT

0 Kudos
GeneNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My thoughts exactly.

Easy way to close a support call I suspect.

0 Kudos
RussH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've got this exact problem in my home lab, thought it was something i was doing wrong!

I'll be intrested in hearing the cause/solution - please report back if and when vmware get back to you!

cheers

0 Kudos
vm2i
Contributor
Contributor

We're seeing the same issue too. When VUM tries to import either the ISO or the ZIP it fails with Upload Failed error. The files are getting successfully copied to the VUM server, because I can see them growing in the TEMP directory. However as soon as that is 100% complete and it then tries the import and the Upload error occurs and the file (either ISO or ZIP) get deleted.

0 Kudos
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Same problem here too... We cannot import the files for an Upgrade Baseline...

Trying to import the ESX 4.0 U1 and ESXi 4.0 U1 upgrade packages.

Failed a 3rd time now..

Later,

GC Mobley, IBM Tivoli

Later, GC Mobley
0 Kudos
IVOXY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We're seeing the same thing here - anyone have any ideas or hear from support?

0 Kudos
mwiederkehr
Contributor
Contributor

We've got the same problem. Does anyone have an idea?

0 Kudos
GeneNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The tech support agent is still looking into the matter. That's all I have so far sorry.

0 Kudos
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I opened an SR w/ VMware last week and the answer we received is that the option of using the ISO or ZIP files VIA UM to perform the upgrade/update is not supported and this is showing up as not being able to import the files. The only supported option is to apply the fixes via UM is what I took away from the call.

In my case, I was trying to put ESXi U1 onto ESXi 4.0 U0..

I stated that really didn't make sense.. I should be able to use the U1 release to peform the update rather than all the indivdual fixes..

Later,

GC Mobley, IBM Tivoli

Later, GC Mobley
0 Kudos
LTOPPIN
Contributor
Contributor

Not the answer I was looking for. Why have it as an option (not supported??) but not be available? Funning thing about that is, I did the upgrade at vmworld as a lab. What gives?? Oh well I guess I'll do the upgrades manually.

Thanks for the update though.

Booooo to vmware support which from my past experience has been pretty good.

0 Kudos
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Me Neither.

I conveyed to the engineer that there was NOTHING in the manuals etc that stated that this was not supported and in reality it made absolutely no sense. He understood but restated their position and said he had been receiving quite a few calls on this matter. He said a KB or doc update may be forthcoming. I'm just sharing what I was told - don't like it one bit either.

Later,

GC Mobley, IBM Tivoli

Later, GC Mobley
0 Kudos
GeneNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately I've received the same response as below:

"Thank you for your patience. I am writing this email to you regarding the issue of Upgrade Baselines.

I have reproduced this issue in our lab environment and have got the same results as you.

After speaking with a senior engineer , I was advised that the Upgrade Baselines method is used to upgrade for major releases only for example ESX 3.5 to ESX 4.0.

Upgrading from 4.0 to 4.0 update 1 would require you to upgrade using either esxupdate -m update or using the Host update Utility which is a Patch upgrade method."

Seems like a easy solution for VMWare, so they choose it.

0 Kudos
IVOXY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Out of curiousity, I tried to create an upgrade baseline on a VUM 4.0 U1 server, using the ESXi 4.0 ISO file (no update 1). This also failed with the same error. Maybe the problem is with any upgrade baseline in VUM 4.0 U1?

0 Kudos
GeneNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To me it sounds like a cop out from VMWare Support.

Fair enough they have provided us a multitude of options to upgrade to Update 1, but one the features they have advertised doesn't work, and it feels like they realise there is a problem but don't consider it important enough to give it some thought.

0 Kudos
support
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have the SR# associated with the ticket? I asked our VMware rep and he can't seem to locate any tickets on this problem.

0 Kudos