VMware Cloud Community
jketron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UMDS Export failing

I have UMDS installed on a server that is not the same as the vCenter with UpdateManager. I'm using the MSDE database for testing.

I am able to run the command vmware-umds --download and it take a long time to complete the first time since it is downloading 241 patches.

After the download is complete it leaves me with three directories, hostupdate, metadata, and vm-patch-binaries and file called version.txt all at the same level on say drive H:\

I create a folder on the same server different drive called I:\test

I run the command from the install directory vmware-umds -E --dest I:\test\

Nothing is exported

What am I doing wrong?

My goal is to download using UMDS, export to a folder and now take that content to a webserver and host it internally

0 Kudos
3 Replies
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager

"To export updates for the year 2007 to e:\export-depot:

vmware-umds -E --dest e:\export-depot -s 2007-01-01T00:00:00 -t 2007-12-31T23:59:59 "

Did you try to export them on the same drive? What's the output from you try? Have you got an error message or something?

0 Kudos
jketron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am doing some testing and here is the quick and dirty run down of the environment;

Windows server with UMDS installed only,

I can down the files just fine using vmware-umds --download to the default location I specified

New issue;

I have figured out how to export the file to another directory on the same server by typing

vmware-umds -E --export-store I:\test\

So now that I have all these files exported I want to create a web based depot for them.

The export creates a single folder called hostupdate, how do I host these files? There is talks in the document about the index.xml file but the export doesn't create one.

0 Kudos
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager

What is the VUM version that you have. If it is vSphere one you have an option to create a repository(just copy the UMDS repository to VUM machine and give the local file path) give them to VUM - Configuration - Patch Download Settings - Use shared repository. That's all no xml, metadata and other configurations

0 Kudos