VMware Cloud Community
JoeinTNT
Contributor
Contributor

The host returns esxupdate error codes: -1. Check the Update Manager log files and esxupdate log files for more details

I have a ESXi v6.5 running on IBM M2. The ESXi is managed by vCenter V6.7. I tried to patch the ESXi with Update Manager. Update manager always fails with error, The host returns esxupdate error codes: -1. Check the Update Manager log files and esxupdate log files for more details.

The update manager and vCenter are installed on Windows 2012 Server. Please advise how I can proceed to troubleshoot and fix the issue.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you checked the Update Manager log files and esxupdate log files for more details?

If not, take a look at them:

Windows 2008 and later operating systems:

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs\

ESXi (patch and update installation logs):

/var/log/esxupdate.log

Also take a look at KB below. It describes your issue.

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Update Manager

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
cfmpa
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

i have the same error after i patched my esxi with the newest build 7.0.3 18644231.

It worked without problems on the first one, but the same error occurs on the second. I checked the esxupdate.log but only got DEBUG and INFO messages, no ERROR.

In my Case the vCenter ist installed in the vcsa virtual machine.

0 Kudos
mkotsmith
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, I have a case that's been escalated to VMware Engineering.  We tried removing a couple of VIB's but did not resolve the issue.  I'm trying to upgrade from ESXi 7.0 U2a to latest.

0 Kudos
TO99
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. Update VCenter 7.0.2.00500 Build 18455184 to 7.0.3.00000 Build 18700403 completed fine.

Now I want to update my ESXi-Hosts (7.0 U2d) but when I stage the patch "ESXi70U3-18644231" it stopps with error message "The host returns esxupdate error codes: -1." . No errors in esxupdate.log.

0 Kudos
vmjoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware has royally f*ed this up, again. We not only have this issue (and NO, no 'payload' error in esxupdate.log), but even more severe issues, even unrelated baselines are getting 'not compliant' once you remediate another one...

In two totally independent vCenter appliances (7.0.2 build 18455184).

0 Kudos
Igubu
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue our side. Did 2x clean R540 hosts no problem, but stuck with the 10+ other clusters - different VCSA's etc. Call open with support. No errors in esxupdate logs - just mention in lifecycle: ERROR Failed to delete pidfile(/var/vmware/lifecycle/lifecycle.apply.pid) Might be interesting if you have the same-  reboots of the host made no difference, we are also using dell approved images for u2.

0 Kudos
Igubu
Contributor
Contributor

Found solution that worked for me 🙂

Found a mention of it hidden away in the u3 release notes:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-esxi-703-release-notes.html

Scroll down to " Product support notices":

"...The inbox i40enu network driver changes name...."

So the fix was to remove that vib:

esxcli software vib remove -n i40enu

I did this with host in maintenance mode - didn't even reboot to complete the vib removal, and was able to immediately use Lifecycle remediate with a baseline attached - installed, and rebooted and works 100%.

Just make sure of course you don't have an old Gbit nic that still uses the i40enu driver.

mkotsmith
Contributor
Contributor

That so far has not worked for me...

0 Kudos
Igubu
Contributor
Contributor

My upgrade was from U2d though - and the original u2 image was a Dell customized image. Booted from that ISO to do in-place upgrade from earlier 6.7 and then 7.0 - and I had to go through some VIB removals then.

Also using TPM and secure boot on them now. The annoying thing is no log or error message tells you it's VIB's when using remediation or esxcli install.  No sure if you tried yet -but get the U3 full .iso - boot from it (iDrac etc) - if there are more vib's - that install/upgrade from ISO will tell you which ones. (yes a long process)

0 Kudos
abhishekrana9
Contributor
Contributor

Saw below article seems VMware is removing support for SD boot. We have SD card boot I am also having same issue after 7.02u have opened case with VMWare lets see.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85685

0 Kudos
mkotsmith
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, already been through this...  The fix is 7.0 U2c or higher but the writing is on the wall for SD card boot devices.  The exact reason I ran into this problem to begin with.  I'm replacing a bunch of MicroSD cards with Dell BOSS controllers.

0 Kudos
sburnside
Contributor
Contributor

Any resolution from VMware for this yet?  I am upgrading from 7.0.2_17867351 to 7.0U3-18644231 and have run into this same problem.  The log file shows no errors.  The i40enu vib does not exist on my system and we don't use the SD Card, so those are not the problem. 

0 Kudos
mkotsmith
Contributor
Contributor

VMware has a new KB, the issue is you can't go from 7.0 U2a to anything other than 7.0 U2c and then from U2c you can upgrade to U2d or U3, etc.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85982?lang=en_US

0 Kudos