VMware Cloud Community
core10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Staged Updates-- where are they located on the ESXi host v5.5

Hi--

I have a particularly troublesome update that my VM host says is unneeded when I try to load it (using ESXCLI), but that is marked as necessary after scans, and gets staged on the VMhost.

I know that I can eliminate the issue by removing the update from the baseline, but I'd like to investigate further.

I'd like to look at what is getting staged-- and would also just like to know where things go when they get staged.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I found some stuff online saying its in /tmp/updatecache or /tmp. However it was talking about older versions of ESXi so I can say for certain this is where they get staged.

I suppose it would be easy enough to check after you stage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I found some stuff online saying its in /tmp/updatecache or /tmp. However it was talking about older versions of ESXi so I can say for certain this is where they get staged.

I suppose it would be easy enough to check after you stage.

0 Kudos
core10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, VMware tech support confirmed that they are supposed to appear in the tmp directory.  There was nothing in my tmp directory (and no updatecache subdirectory).

Turns out that some updates are actually installs of new vibs.  Maybe that's why it wasn't there at all.

0 Kudos