VMware Cloud Community
Useless1
Contributor
Contributor

Soft DRS rule preventing VUM entering Maintenance Mode?

Hi,

I have a 3 node cluster which has 3 VDR instances. VDR is unsupported if running more than one on the same host, so I have created 3 DRS rules basically mapping each VDR appliance to a host. So VDR1 to ESX1, VDR2 to ESX2 and VDR3 to ESX3. These rules have been set to "Should". With this setup, I can enter Maintenance Mode on each host manually and it moves the corresponding VDR appliance off the host, and when Maintenance Mode has exited, DRS puts the VDR appliance back on the host.

However when I attempt to patch my hosts, VUM will not enter Maintenance Mode to patch the host because of these VDR appliances, What I get in the log is this:

'VciTaskBase.VciClusterJobDispatcherTask{320}' 4832 ERROR]  [vciClusterJobSchedulerTask, 1058] Host host-299 cant go into maintenance mode for following reason : DRS has determined that correcting the soft VM/Host affinity rules constraint violation for VM 'vdr2' would impact respecting cluster constraints or performance goals.

Is there anyway I can fix this?

Edit: Should have mentioned all running vSphere 5 on vCenter 5 and VUM 5!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wkwicker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

5 years later and I have the same type rule but with ESXi 5.5 and the same issue.  I have to disable the rules but VUM should know that it's OK to violate a DRS Should Rule.

0 Kudos