VMware Cloud Community
bedobash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resolved: UMDS 5.1 not downloading N1000v vibs

When I do a defaults clean install of UMDS 5.1 on a VM, and try to run -D (download) and then -E (export), the process fails with this error:

[2012-10-10 19:33:05:041 'HostUpdate20Downloader' 1492 INFO]  [hostUpdate20Downl
oader, 612] vib file: D:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdat
e\csco/vib20/cisco-vem-v133-esx/Cisco_bootbank_cisco-vem-v133-esx_4.2.1.1.4.2.0-
3.0.1.vib does not exist.
[2012-10-10 19:33:05:041 'HostUpdate20Downloader' 1492 INFO]  [hostUpdate20Downl
oader, 612] vib file: D:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdat
e\csco/vib20/cisco-vem-v142-esx/Cisco_bootbank_cisco-vem-v142-esx_4.2.1.1.5.1a.0
-3.0.1.vib does not exist.
I even changed the download settings to only include ESXi 5.0 and 5.1 patches, but I still get this error.
I also created a new VM, and reinstalled everything with defaults, same error. I basically cannot create a repository because these two files do not exist at the URL for download. This causes the download to fail, and the export to fail as well.
How can I fix this? Has anyone else had the same problem?

-Ed

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Chaz999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

though not enough info available in term of your enviornment but question is

Have your enviornment using Nexus 1000v VSM module, if that s the case 

have you install VEM module on host that are hosted yoru all VM's

Thanks

0 Kudos
bedobash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, we're not using any of the Nexus 1000v VSM modules, nore are any VEM modules installed on hosts.

This VM is a standalone clean windows 2008 R2 install. Only application installed on it is UMDS 5.1.

This VM's sole purpose is to download new updates from VMware in a format so that I can later export them to removable media, and import them to an isolated vSphere 5.1 lab deployment (no internet access). The only Update Manager targets in the environment are a bunch of ESXi 5.1 servers, a VMA, and some other VMware virtual appliances.

I had deployed UMDS 5.0 in the same configuration and it had NO issues downloading updates via vmware-umds -D, or exporting them via vmware-umds -E. I want to know why, with UMDS 5.1 under a default unmodified configuration, downloading updates fails every time with the error I stated above.

I even tried copying that URL to my web browser, and the response is "file not found" meaning this update file is no longer available for download. Why is UMDS trying to download it then? That file needs to be removed from the metadata file that UMDS downloads to sync updates, as this is completely breaking the product now.

Any other suggestions from anyone to fix this are welcome!

-Ed

0 Kudos
lorengordon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same exact problem with UMDS and the Cisco VEM vibs. Getting 404 errors for these two vibs:

Cisco_bootbank_cisco-vem-v133-esx_4.2.1.1.4.2.0-3.0.1.vib

Cisco_bootbank_cisco-vem-v142-esx_4.2.1.1.5.1a.0-3.0.1.vib

I've also tried finding the vib files manually, but no luck so far.

-Loren

0 Kudos
lorengordon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found the vib files on the UMDS 5.0 server that I have. I doublechecked the urls in xml files on the 5.0 version and they are exactly the same. So not sure why it's working there but not on the 5.1 server, nor why I get a 404 error if I browse to these two particular vib files with a web browser but can dl any other vib file directly. Strange. Anyway, I'm uploading the vib files here for reference. If you run a UMDS download, then drop these in the right folders, then run a UMDS export, it should work.

bedobash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks!

VMware needs to fix the buggy piece of crap that vSphere 5.1 is, including UMDS 5.1. Its unacceptable that a default deployment will not work out of the box without "hacking" the solution.

-Ed

0 Kudos
bedobash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am creating a VMware ticket to address this issue, and will post any updates when I hear more.

0 Kudos
bedobash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is the input from VMware technical support to fix this problem:

-----

Since you're not running the N1kv in your environment, please try the following:

1. On the UMDS server, from a command prompt, change to the UMDS install path

2. Run this to clear out the database:

.\vciInstallUtils.exe -O dbdelete -C . -L .

3. Run this to re-create the database:

.\vciInstallUtils.exe -O dbcreate - . -L .

4. Delete any downloaded patches

5. Edit the downloadConfig.xml file with Notepad:

(By default, located in: c:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager)

6. Comment out the line that begins with "ESXThirdPartyUpdateURL:

<!-- <ESXThirdPartyUpdateUrl>https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/csco-main/csco-depot-index.xml</ESXThirdPartyU...>
> --> .

7. Run the UMDS download.

8 Export the patches.

This should stop the UMDS from trying to download the Cisco patches that keep tripping us up.  Please let me know if that works or not.

-----

0 Kudos
munozajj
Contributor
Contributor

Make note of the type that I ran across when trying out this solution...

^^^^^ THIS SHOULD BE .\vciInstallUtils.exe -O dbcreate -C . -L .

notice the missing "C"?

(By default, located in: c:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager)
     <!-- <ESXThirdPartyUpdateUrl>https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/csco-main/csco-depot-index.xml</ESXThirdPartyUpdateUrl>
> --> .
8 Export the patches.

This worked BTW....thank you!

Ed wrote:

Here is the input from VMware technical support to fix this problem:

-----

Since you're not running the N1kv in your environment, please try the following:

<!-- <ESXThirdPartyUpdateUrl>https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/csco-main/csco-depot-index.xml</ESXThirdPartyU...>
> --> .

8 Export the patches.

This should stop the UMDS from trying to download the Cisco patches that keep tripping us up.  Please let me know if that works or not.

-----

Message was edited by: munozajj

0 Kudos