VMware Cloud Community
joemailey
Contributor
Contributor

Remediate entity just sits at 33%

It puts esx 4.0 host in to maintaince mode and then doesn't do anything else.

Just sits at 33%.

anyway to do this and watch if it is actually doing something?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JesperSkovdal
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem... any new ?

mvh. Jesper Skovdal

0 Kudos
joemailey
Contributor
Contributor

Only way I got mine to work was to do the patches 1 at a time.

1 update took up to 30 minutes to complete. Now when I say 1 update I mean it only was that update.

Thing I don't like about it is you don't get any information that the ESX server is doing anything.

my advice is to do one update at a time. Seemed to work for me. But I had to reboot the server that was running vCenter update manage and reboot the ESX server and then proceed to do one update at a time.

0 Kudos
AWarwick
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get a resolution to this?

I'm uprading 3 x Dell R900s from vSphere 4.0 - 175625 to the latest patches including update 1. I manually put the first into maintenance mode and then remediated. It's been sitting at 33% for the last hour. I then decided to stage one of the other servers. Same thing, stuck @ 33%. I'm willing to leave it and wait until the morning but I'm wondering if this is a known issue.

Alan

0 Kudos
JesperSkovdal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alan

The solution is to wait. it seems to be stuck but what happens is that the update manager is downloading patches only when they are used for the first time, that must be new in vsphere compared to version 3.5. My first server took more than 12 hours because of slow internet connection the second only 1 hour because then the patches were allready downloaded.

Jesper

0 Kudos
joemailey
Contributor
Contributor

Here is how you update in Vsphere:

1. Stage the updates. Your esx server will continue to run normally.

2. When staging is done(staging downloads the updates doesn't install them), that is when you run the remediate update.

3. Remediate update installs the updates you select. If you have not staged the updates before hand you have to wait until the server downloads them, before it can install them. This is all done in maintainence mode.

Stage the updates first. this doesn't require maintaince mode. Then run remediate updates. If you stage it first, remediate will not need to download the updates as it was already done and should install in no time.

0 Kudos
AWarwick
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Joe but I'm aware of the different ways to do the updates. The staging is taking as long as the remediate (sure the hosts are still up but that's not my issue) because as Jesper says it only downloads the updates at the first stage or remediate.

I checked the update directory on the update server and it is downloading from the update website, albeit real slowly. I'll just wait till tomorrow when hopefully it will be done with the first update and has staged the others.

Alan

0 Kudos
rleeber
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. Very interested in the resolution.

0 Kudos
joemailey
Contributor
Contributor

Stage the updates. Stage may take a while but just let it run.

When it is done. you remediate the updates.

I don't know why it takes so long. But that is the only way that works for me. Stage the updates. once the stage is complete proceed to remediate your updates.

Stage is the longest part. So don't expect it to be done quickly. just let it run over night or something or leave it running all day.

That is the resolution.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Had the same problem today.

So I canceld the task, restarted vum service, and remdiate once again, then it worked fine.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
joemailey
Contributor
Contributor

Most likely because the staging process was complete - aka the downloading off the updates.

Staging downloads your updates. If you stage everything first, remediate will install the updates in minutes.

0 Kudos
P2Ver
Contributor
Contributor

This is exactly the solution!

I think we're all impatient sysadmins over here... since we can't see what happends and we see only something that's seems to be stuck at 33%.

First stage your patch or upgrade (depending on your DSL connection it takes a while) and than the Remediation is a piece of cake!

It's quite exciting, since VUM takes control of the process and we just have to wait and see (and smile when you see Completed and your host is still running!)

Thanks a lot for this solution, I don't know how to make this issue 'Answered' but maybe someone elso does! 

0 Kudos