VMware Cloud Community
DaveSmith01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Patching vCentre v7 and ESXI hosts.

Hello all.

Previously VMware update manager would be used to update the ESXI hosts on 6.7 and below but now with v7 what's the process of updating the ESXI hosts and vCentre. For a non internet connected network how would this be carried out?

I've read elsewhere that a separate VM (Linux) would be needed and an offline bundle downloaded?

Also, for a non internet connected network, whats the best method to keep on top of when patches are released?

Running ESXI 7.0.1, 16850804 x 2 with vCentre v 7. I plan on carrying out the update in a test lab, but is there any updates needed for these hosts or are they at the latest version?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @DaveSmith01 ,

Similar functions are still available in 7.0 --> About vSphere Lifecycle Manager 

Other upgrade options --> Upgrading ESXi Hosts 

ESXi host looks good as it's only a couple of patches behind the latest. It's on ESXi 7.0 U1, 16850804 and we have U1a and U1b as the latest. Please refer release notes of the newer patches to see if any critical fixes/enhancements are required.

vCenter U1b is the latest build.

Hope that helps

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @DaveSmith01 ,

Similar functions are still available in 7.0 --> About vSphere Lifecycle Manager 

Other upgrade options --> Upgrading ESXi Hosts 

ESXi host looks good as it's only a couple of patches behind the latest. It's on ESXi 7.0 U1, 16850804 and we have U1a and U1b as the latest. Please refer release notes of the newer patches to see if any critical fixes/enhancements are required.

vCenter U1b is the latest build.

Hope that helps

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@DaveSmith01 

Moderator: Moved to Update Manager Discussions (where Lifecycle Manager is also discussed)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
DaveSmith01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, many thanks for the detailed reply.

0 Kudos
DaveSmith01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Surly the patch listed below is the latest one for ESXi? And is needed? How often are patches released for ESXI?

As I work in a offline environment I will need to manually check rather than having some sort of automatic notification within vCentre.

What about the latest patch for vCentre? I cant seem to find it on the patch page?

VMware-ESXi-7.0U1c-17325551-depot

Product:ESXi (Embedded and Installable) 7.0.1

Download Size:523.2 MB

12/17/2020

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you have and rss reader you can use to keep up with the releases of vsphere(esxi and vcenter)

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/rn_rss.xml

albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware vsphere and vcenter last version is 7.01c!!!