VMware Cloud Community
tjuksa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Patching ESX 3.5 installed version looses HP SIM agent

Hi, has anyone found a version of the patch "VMware ESXi, Patch ESXe350-200901401-I-SG: Firmware Update"(Firmware Build 143129) witch includes the Agent for the HP SIM.

We're running HP SIM Agents (on the ESXi Installed version) but when I upgraded one of the hosts because of some issues concerning hosts that hangs (witch we experienced) the SIM Agent wasn't included on the patch. This isn't cool. Have any of you heard if vmware's letting out a version of the patch (firmware build 143129) that includes the HP SIM

Best Regards

Hyper-T :smileydevil:

0 Kudos
12 Replies
bggb29
Expert
Expert

I do not see a patch with HP Sim. HP Sim Agents are image specific for versions and full updates.

Are you saying that a simple patch removed hp sim. Looking at the patch there are 3 items in it

vclient,vtools and firmware none of which should have removed hp sim

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

I do not see a patch with HP Sim. HP Sim Agents are image specific for versions and full updates.

Are you saying that a simple patch removed hp sim. Looking at the patch there are 3 items in it

vclient,vtools and firmware none of which should have removed hp sim

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to ESXi forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you go here within the patch you should find an HP oem.tgz file (hp.tgz). Did that get installed?

ESXe350-200901401-O-SG\ESXe350-200901401-I-SG\ESXe350-200901401-I-SG\VMware-OEM-image.tar\

0 Kudos
tjuksa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes it seems as the patch completely removed the SIM agent, witch is actually normal, since ESXi patches overwrites the entire installation (new image) but keeps the config (IP, Name, SAN, and Networks etc.)

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You might just try copying hp.tgz from the patch to oem.tgz to see if that restores the agent for you.

0 Kudos
tjuksa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmmm sorry for beeing a bit "n00b" here. How do I verify that the hp.tgz (witch IS in the package) is installed?

Can I somehow force this tgz into the installation?

Regards

Hyper-T

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you look at /bootbank on your host, how large is oem.tgz and how does that compare with the same file on /altbootbank? Altbootbank is where the last running firmware version is stored (i.e. the version you were running before you patched).

From the patch zip you could just rename hp.tgz to oem.tgz and then copy it to /bootbank. It would take affect after you rebooted. You could also copy oem.tgz from /altbootbank to /bootbank (assuming it is similar in size to hp.tgz but I would stick with the one in the patch).

tjuksa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll try this later this week when I can kill the server for mainenance.

Hope this resolves my issues Smiley Wink

I'll let you know how it turns out

Regards

0 Kudos
tjuksa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Errr.... I took another host, and did the same upgrade... Voila this host works perfectly.. ??

I'll update the first one later today, and see what happens....

0 Kudos
tjuksa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gotta be something that went wrong, my other hosts have been updated smoothly .. allmost all that is, one of them refused to go to maint.mode, had to disconnect it and boot the bugger from ILO ... and on one of the host, the gaway setting dissapeared. - and there were no way of save it with any setting, so I ended up inserting the U3 cd and do a repair, then upgrade the host. That worked.

Hmm staring to wonder about installing 3.5 full installation instead...

Best Regards

Hyper-T

0 Kudos
n00dles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assuming you mean the HP CIM provider, as there is no HP 'SIM Agent' for ESXi.

Every ESXi patch includes all the available vendor specific CIM providers, and the patch install script contains logic to 'install' the correct one. To confirm this, simply open up the patch .zip file, go into the ESXe350-<date>-I-SG.zip file contained within the patch .zip, open install.sh in your favourite script editor and go to line 300. For the actual tgz's, have a look in the VMware-OEM-image.tar.gz file (in the same directory as install.sh) as Dave suggested.

0 Kudos