VMware Cloud Community
VirtualAsh
Contributor
Contributor

Patch distribution points for VUM?

I have recently rolled out ESXi4 across a few sites with a new VC 4 hosting VUM and the patch repository.

This has worked out OK so far as the links between the DCs upgraded has been 'adequate'.

When trying to stage or remediate hosts on a slow WAN link, VUM chokes and fails.

I have been trawling the web but cannot find an answer to whether VUM supports 'patch distribution points' i.e. similar to DFS, Altiris etc?

This means the sites could pull the patches either very slowing over the WAN or use their own internet links to update and sync their copies.

At the moment, I cannot patch the slow link hosts.

Note - Upgrading the WAN links is not an option.

Cheers

G

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

While VUM doesn't quite support distribution points, you may be able to achieve what you need using the Update Manager Download Service (UDMS), however this will require each site to have its own vCenter and VUM database. Have a look at the VUM admin guide here, chapter 3 has all the info on UDMS...

However... from what you have said, I don't get the impression that you have separate vCenters, so IMO, as you have ESXi hosts, your best option is to use the Host Update Utility locally at each site. That way you could download the patches using the local internet connection and apply them manually.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

Adam

VirtualAsh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Adam,

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately we are consolidating from multiple VC2.5 machines to one VC4

server hence using linked mode with a VUM and VC install at each remote site is

not an option.

The Host Update utility is an 'option' but moves us away from central control over

patch management and is a last ditch option put aside hoping for a better one

to appear.

Maybe VMware will add it to their wish list, maybe they won’t as it will

save customers $1000s on additional VC licences Smiley Wink

Cheers

G

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

For hosts patching you can use staging.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
VirtualAsh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Andre,

Cheers for the post and I wish it was that simple.

We have tried staging and that also fails on the really slow links and also maxes them out whilst trying which tends to annoy the end users.

Cheers

Graeme

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

In order to run un VMware vCenter Update Manager over a low-bandwidth, high-latency, or lossy network, check the KB1021050. It may help.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos