VMware Cloud Community
Websterm2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Patch Cisco Custom Image

Hi,

I've installed a Cisco Custom ESXi 5.5 Image in a UCS C220 M3 and i would like to know if i can install the patches using Update Manager as i do with a default image. I'm not sure if i'll have any problems because some patches update the ESXi drivers and could for example overwrite the Cisco enic and fnic.

I know HP and Dell have their repositories that i can use with Update Manager, but cannot find anything like that for cisco.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi theire,

so in the last Years i stayed away from Customized vendor Isos. Reason is that Vmware is not Happy with the Customized ones once facing Problems. They are repointing to the other Vendor on trying to handle support Ticket. 

So as for that i just used since years a clean default Vmware Image and all necessary Drivers i inject afterwards. Manually or through Update Manager.

Had more less Issues with Default Isos then with fully Customized Vendor ones.

So back to Question.  if you like to update driver for Cisco, then you could download latest supported ones for you're Model and add into you're Update Manager. Smiley Wink

Best regards

Max

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MallocArray1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same question

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

As far as my understanding goes:

We have a CISCO server with a CISCO custom ISO. These will usually, and I say usually, have specific drivers that are not addressed in VMware ISOs, and a patching will not generally replace the existing CISCO drivers. (Plain terms, there is nothing there for a VMware ISO to replace) However, this might not always be the case. Best practice, have a check with CISCO if they have any patch releases for your version.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi theire,

so in the last Years i stayed away from Customized vendor Isos. Reason is that Vmware is not Happy with the Customized ones once facing Problems. They are repointing to the other Vendor on trying to handle support Ticket. 

So as for that i just used since years a clean default Vmware Image and all necessary Drivers i inject afterwards. Manually or through Update Manager.

Had more less Issues with Default Isos then with fully Customized Vendor ones.

So back to Question.  if you like to update driver for Cisco, then you could download latest supported ones for you're Model and add into you're Update Manager. Smiley Wink

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
tonto_22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can certainly use vUM (update manager) to push the custom ISO, I have done this successfully, but once you choose this alternative, (the custom image) you are warned that you are at the mercy of the vendor to update the image, which is usually 4-5 months behind. (from what I've seen anyways) I agree with MadMax01 also about the strategy to install base ISO and add updated drivers separately.

0 Kudos
Websterm2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I liked the idea to use the base ISO and then add the drivers

Thanks

0 Kudos