VMware Cloud Community
Leffingwell
Contributor
Contributor

Not seeing all VM's in Update Manager

Under VMs and Templates, if I select the World object/Datacenter and select the Update Manager tab -> Scan, it shows "All Applicable VMs/VAs totalling 317.  We have over a thousand VM's in this Datacenter.  I don't know much about the vSphere Client so I'm not sure what this folders view function is .. or if inventory items have to be added to it?

I thought VUM scanned even powered off machines?  Looking forward to some feedback!

Also - I much prefer looking at organization from the Hosts and Clusters view, but it seems I can only use Host based baselines from this view.. The reason I prefer this view is because it's our true organization .. the VMs and Templates view seems to be some kind of separate logical grouping.. apologize for lack of general knowledge which could likely answer this question.  Is there anyway to search for tools/hardware version non-compliance from the hosts/clusters view?

Thanks everyone

0 Kudos
10 Replies
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you have more than 1 Datacenter? Go to VMs & Templates and click on the top level object (vCenter)> attach all baselines> Scan. You should see just about all your VMs there..except the ones under a vApp(s).

After the scan, make sure you highlight "All applicable VMs/VAs" under VM/VA compliance.

0 Kudos
Leffingwell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dvdmorera - that's exactly what I did before, I did it again just to verify - but yes only 317VM's are showing up from the VMs and Templates view when I know I have 3x that amount or more.  Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you check the logs? Go to the vCenter and generate a VUM log bundle.

Does the VUM DB have enough space?

Leffingwell
Contributor
Contributor

Pardon my lack of fundamentals here, but how do I do what you were just requesting ? When I installed Update Manager, I didn't have to do anything with a database, it was literally a few clicks and it was running.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you used the defaults, the VUM DB is part of your vCenter DB. I like to separate them so it is easier to troubleshoot VUM problems.

Here is a link for log collection http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100369...

Leffingwell
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm.. maybe you will regret helping me Smiley Happy

I logged onto the vCenter server's box.. I was able to make the VUM bundle.. no idea where to look it contains close to if not more than 100 files, I looked through quite a few of them but couldn't determine what I would be looking for within them to look for issues.

As for there being enough space in the DB.. I don't know what the vcenter server's db is named or where it's stored.. so it's hard for me to check that!  I just started working with VMware products a few weeks ago (almost a month ago) and I've had no training whatsoever.. apologies if this wears you thin having to tell me all basic knowledge !

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would contact support on this one. They may need to look under the hood.

0 Kudos
Leffingwell
Contributor
Contributor

Hehe no worries Smiley Happy I was already going to get going with that today !  Thanks for the help you did give me though, I learned about those diagnostic bundles and found out about where VUM is installed and how it functions.  Good stuff.

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In your VMs and Templates view, do you have a "Discovered virtual machine" object?

When I attached my VI3 boxes to this vCenter, the VMs ended up under there.

I only use that view to quickly find a template.  Besides that, I agree, the Hosts and Clusters view is more realistic.

0 Kudos
Leffingwell
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah it seems like that's what you'd want to look at when running baselines of VM's over a cluster instead of the goofy folder view.  Of course me not knowing what a folders function is doesn't help things.

Short answer - yes we have that same folder, but it's only got a few things in it.. I made a quick script to count all the VM's by cluster just to make sure and VUM is still not picking up like 70~ VM's.

I've filed a SR on this with VMware - so I'll post here when we figure out what's going on Smiley Happy

0 Kudos