VMware Cloud Community
TB_Rich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

(Not) Downloading Patches??

Hi,

I have just upgraded from VC 2.5 U4 to vSphere Server 4 U1. I have upgraded the Upgrade Manager extension also.

My patch repositry shows what looks to be a full repositry, it contains ESX 3.5 patches and ESX 4 patches, BUT, if I look at the actual directory structure of downloaded patches then there are no ESX 4 patches downloaded??

Why hasnt it downloaded all the patches? Running the scheduled task doesnt do it and there are no error's when it runs. There is also no email confirmation anymore after running - presumably as nothing has been downloaded.

Cheers,

Rich

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vsphere update manager doesn't actually download patch files until you try to do a stage or remediation against that patch/bundle. Try to stage the patches to a host and then look in the patchstore and you should see some .vib's showing up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vsphere update manager doesn't actually download patch files until you try to do a stage or remediation against that patch/bundle. Try to stage the patches to a host and then look in the patchstore and you should see some .vib's showing up.

0 Kudos
TB_Rich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

That must be different to how it worked in 2.5 then?

I'll have to have a play about with it today!

Thanks,

Rich.

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, they changed the behavior with VUM in vSphere. Not sure why, but that's the way it is. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TB_Rich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Damn66 was correct. If I had read the Admin Guide (which I have now!) then it explain's it all in there. It's a sad state of affairs when you need to RTFM! Need to upgrade my hosts now so I can do staging etc.

Cheers.

0 Kudos