VMware Cloud Community
Hurleyinnh
Contributor
Contributor

New Update Manager install, when to install?

1. I am planning on installing VMware Update Manager VUM on a fresh install of vCenter 4.1 that uses an Oracle 11g database on a MS 2k8r2x64 OS. At this point there are no hosts set up on this vCenter.

My main question is, is it OK to start moving hosts to this vCenter and using it before I install VUM or should I wait until VUM is installed?

2. I also have another question about VUM that ties in with my first question. I am also posting separately with subject line " New Update Manager install, how to set up database? "

I’m a little confused about what to do for the database that VUM will use. Just for fun I started the VUM install to see if it would see the existing DSN for the database that I am using for vCenter. It did not. I was not sure if it would or not because VUM requires a 32bit DSN and the one that is being used by vCenter is not ( I believe ).

Do I need to install a totally separate database from the one vCenter is using for VUM?

If so, what is best database to use for VUM? I am using Oracle 11g for vCenter but I have other flavors and ms sql if needed.

How do I set up the 32 bit DSN? I tried doing this before on a vCenter 4.0 and never got it to work, I went to vCenter 4.1 because that can use a 64 bit DSN ( I believe ) that I have set up now for the new vCenter 4.1 database.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Sure, you can always install VUM later after you have hosts added in.

Check out page 29 about setting up a 32bit DSN. Setup a second database for VUM, SQL works fine.

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

You can install VUM at any moment, this doesn't make any difference.

About database, you can use the same database server you are using for vCenter Server. You have to create a database for Update Manager into the Database Server (Oracle in your case).

In a 64-bits OS, you can create a 32-bits DSN ODBC using this application:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

This DSN have to point to database you created before (specifically for Update Manager).

The 64-Bits DSN is used only by vCenter Server.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos