VMware Cloud Community
Ytsejamer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving VUM repository to a CIF share on an external NAS

Hi everyone,

I have my new vCenter 5.5 system (latest as of today's date) running on a blade system with a mirrored set of 136GB drives.  With Update Manager installed on the same box, I don't have a ton of space for the VUM repository.  I was following the instructions here: vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center .

I've configured the location in the vci-integrity.xml file to \\nas.fqdn.com\share\.  When I open vSphere Client, I receive an error saying: There was an error connecting to VMware vSphere Update Manager: [vcenterserver.fqdn.com:443]. integrity.fault.NoVcConnection.summary

I haven't been able to dig up anything that says you can't put the repository on a CIFS-share, but haven't found anything that says you CAN.  The permissions currently on the share is EVERYONE full access, NTFS permissions are EVERYONE: Read Only (tried full, modify), Domain admins (full), vcenter server computer account (full).  I've even tried EVERYONE with FULL permissions which I don't want to keep if at all possible.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
raog
Expert
Expert

Can you try mapping the share to some drive (eg z:\) and then point vum to this instead of using \\nas.fqdn.com

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
Ytsejamer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't tried a mapped drive but thinking along those lines, I'm going to setup an iSCSI lun on the filer and map it to the vcenter server.  I saw another post on the communities that indicated that VUM repo had to be local disk resource OR another webserver address.  I'm heading out on vacation tomorrow for a bit and my networking team needs to trunk the interfaces for that blade server.  Once it's up and likely working, I'll report back!

Thanks!

0 Kudos