VMware Cloud Community
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Moving Update Manager repository?

I s there any way to move the repository?

I find the default location really annoying and would like to move the files to a non-system drive.

Ole Thomsen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ssumichrast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, there's an option during installation to specify a location for the VMware Updates repository. I always move it to a second VMDK I've set up for the vCenter VM so I can add space as time goes on.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi Oletho,

why don't you try to change <patchStore> tag content in vci-integrity.xml file. If it doesn't work you can always revert it back to the old location.

hph,

Petko

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I always change during the install.

0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Actually I considered that, but I assumed that an update will revert the file to its original setttings, and I don't wish to tie myself to supporting that on several systems :smileyblush:

Ole Thomsen

0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't recall ever been given that opportunity?

Ole Thomsen

0 Kudos
ssumichrast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, there's an option during installation to specify a location for the VMware Updates repository. I always move it to a second VMDK I've set up for the vCenter VM so I can add space as time goes on.

0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You're right, I just removed and added Update Manager and was given the option to change repository path from default.

I changed it to D:\VMware Update Manager\Data, but after finishing install and restarting the server folders were created in C:\VMware Update Manager\Data.

Anyway, after moving the folders to d:\, changing the <patchstore> tag and rebooting the server everything seems to be fine.

Thanks,

Ole Thomsen

0 Kudos
Ph_Seifert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi VMware Community,

I have the same problem an want to move the update repository to a separate virtual disk. At the moment the patches are located at C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\VMware\VMware Update Manager, can i move these patches by using robocopy and change the path in the in the vci-integrity.xml file?

Thanks

Philipp

0 Kudos
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi Oletto,

I don't see this tag( <docRootHostUpdates> ) in vci-integrity.xml.

Copy the patches to the other virtual disk and just change the content of the <patchStore> tag in vci-integrity.xml.

If you have any setup specifics list these here and we'll think for another option Smiley Happy

thanks,

petko

0 Kudos
Ph_Seifert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can anybody tell me which service i have to stop while copying? I always geht an access denied error.

2009/04/17 15:40:01 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Copying File C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs\2009_04_17.jetty.log

Access Denied

Which services generate this log file?

Thanks

Philipp

0 Kudos
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I would try with 'java.exe' or 'tomcat6.exe'

0 Kudos