VMware Cloud Community
jamosj
Contributor
Contributor

Manually patching ESX 4.0 without a direct connection to the internet.

We have a ESX 4.0 update 1 server that I would like to patch with the 1a patch as we are having problems with ISCSI connections.

The problem is the server can't be connect to the internet as it is on a secure network and we are not using update manager, so I have to download the patches manually.

What is the easiest way to copy the patch on to the server then update it manually?

Thanks

Jamosj

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
yuv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1) dowload patches to your laptop. From laptop put them on some media (usb etc) or scp to your esx host.

2) use esxupdate on esx service console to install the patches manually.

jamosj
Contributor
Contributor

H,

Thanks for your reply,

So the ESX server will see the USB key if I plug it in right?

Do you know the esxupdate commands to verify then install the patches from the USB key?

Thanks

Jamosj

0 Kudos
jamosj
Contributor
Contributor

H,

Thanks for your reply,

So the ESX server will see the USB key if I plug it in right?

Do you know the esxupdate commands to verify then install the patches from the USB key?

Thanks

Jamosj

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you consider using the "Update Manager Download Service"? You can configure this service on a system with internet connection, download the updates, export them to a repository where your vCenter Server has access to and do the updates using VUM.

Take a look at the VMware vCenter Update Manager Administration Guide Chapter 3

If you consider using this service, you may also want to read KB1015663 - Configure Update Manager Download Service to download only ESX 4.x patches

André

0 Kudos