OESTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issues installing Update Manager server on Windows vCenter server 6.0u2

Hi,

I'm using an Essentials license.  Here's what I've got:

(2) esxi 6.0u2 hosts

(1) Windows server 2016 running vCenter server.

I'm using the same ISO I used to install vCenter to try and install Update manager on the vCenter server.  During the installation it installed, SQL 2012 express, starts to install Update manager and at about half way through, it rolls back the changes and ends with a message, "The wizard was interrupted before VMware vSphere Update manager could be completely installed."

If I watch the status during the installation, I can see it first install Java, then install Jetty web server.  As soon as it starts to install "Virtual storage volume driver" it's interrupted and rolls back the install.

I've already rebooted and disabled the A/V.  Anyone know what's happening and how to get past this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check VMware Knowledge Base

But its better to move to VCSA's 6.5 or later as it has Update Manager bundled. vSphere 6.0 is already End of Life

Also vCenter Windows is deprecated in the latest release. Farewell, vCenter Server for Windows - VMware vSphere Blog

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ

View solution in original post

7 Replies
OESTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I just rebooted and tried again.  Same issue and this is the Event viewer message that comes up at the same time the installer fails.  I'm pretty sure this is the issue:

Event 7000, Service Control Manager

The Vstor2 Update Manager Virtual Storage Driver service failed to start due to the following error:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the Update Manager area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You do know that 6.0 is no longer supported?

And that running vCenter Server on Windows and Update Manager on Windows is the past?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
OESTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no I didn't know that.  I haven't really used VMware in about 10 years.  Should I use the vCenter server appliance?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That may depend on what version your hosts can run, your vCenter Server can run, what level of compatibility you need...

But if you can, most on here would recommend to move to at least 6.5, and to switch to using the VCSA.

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check VMware Knowledge Base

But its better to move to VCSA's 6.5 or later as it has Update Manager bundled. vSphere 6.0 is already End of Life

Also vCenter Windows is deprecated in the latest release. Farewell, vCenter Server for Windows - VMware vSphere Blog

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
OESTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes thanks everyone.  I'm installing 6.5 VCSA.  I didn't know 6.0 was end of life.

0 Kudos