VMware Cloud Community
maksmelnikov
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a tool to manage multiple Update managers?

Hi all,

I wonder if there is such an instrument in VMware structure which can manage several vCenter Update Managers, on any level (vCloud Director, any of vRealize, etc)?

Have anyone ever met something with this functionality?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

Not that I'm aware of it. But the VVDS approach is to use UMDS and then point VUMS to centralize repository.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
maksmelnikov
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I've seen this solution. As far as I got it, it is similar to some sort of MS WSUS fro vCenter Update Managers.

It is good, but this is not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm talking about some tool which can at least collect compliance form all Update Managers and show it in one dashboard. IMHO this functionality, if existed, would be obvious for vRealize Operations, but I haven't found it there.

It would be better if this tool might do the patching of vSphere as MS SCCM does: grouping objects, use different patching policies and so on.

On the other hand, such a tool might not be needed if to use some different approach to the patch management in vSphere. But I haven't found any best practices for patching multiple vCenters as well, except the traditional one: do it one by one and keep results in some table (confluence, excel etc.).

So, before the automating of the traditional way I had thought of looking for some existing solution.

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

If you have TAM attached to you account, it could help you with this request or you can ask him if there is such request already. But as the environment is growing and hybridicity is also, I could see this as natural progression.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
maksmelnikov
Contributor
Contributor

I have not found anything related to TAM in my account.

What is TAM?

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

My apologies, TAM is Technical Account Manager which gets tag to Account (not VMware Account).

It is definitely not in your case.

Then Request feature would be your best chance.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos