VMware Cloud Community
barrif
Contributor
Contributor

Error removing Update Manager

Hi all

Thanks in advance

I´m trying to remove update manager v4.1 and I have this error:

Error 25061. Setup failed to remove the DSN used to access the local VMware vCenter Update Manafer database

Then click OK

and it rolling back

I review DSN and every think is OK

Have you got any suggestions?

VCenter 4.1

VUM 4.1

VCenter and VUM in the same Virtual Machine.

Regards.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem. did you find an answer?

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you try removing VUM agter deleting the DSN manually?

0 Kudos
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that, didn't work. I ended up reverting the VC server, which is virtual, back to a snapshot then reinstalling. The databases are on a separate server so it had no effect on tthe VM's.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Is it possible that the DSN is also in use by something else?

Also, bear in mind that 32bit and 64 bit DSNs need to be viewed in different locations.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

No, the DSN is not in use by anything else. I get your point about the 32 and 64 bit DSNs, Update Manager requires a 32 bit DSN, I had not checked that before I reverted to snapshot. I know it had been working perfectly before I tried to upgrade multiple VMS using RVTools, which killed my VC server service. When I restarted the service, Update Manager wouldn't work.

0 Kudos
VMRankers
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same problem.

Basically it's trying to remove a DSN that doesn't exist.  Give it what it wants -

Open up the 32bit ODBC administrator.

Create a new System DSN and called it 'VMWare Update Manager' and set it as MS Access.  When the properties appear for the Access database, click 'Create' and make a new database (give it any name, the details are irrelevant as it's the DSN that matters).

Once you have done this, try the uninstall again.  It should work.

0 Kudos
enazatocn
Contributor
Contributor

Just had this issue while trying to remote VUM 5.5 from a Windows server (not needed anymore after migrating environment to 6.7)

Solved after using the original vSphere 5.5 installer to re-run VUM installation, which actually triggered the removal process successfully

0 Kudos