VMware Cloud Community
lancevo7
Contributor
Contributor

Error no metada foudn for the host

Hello i Have a probleme with my host, when i analysis his i have this error in the log :

SingleHostScanTask.SingleHostScanTask' 2012 ERROR] Task execution has failed: No metadata found for the platform: esx, 4.1.0, INTL

0 Kudos
18 Replies
1ppInc
Contributor
Contributor

I too cannot scan my new ESX 4.1 upgraded hosts. I see the following in my logs:

vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log(401447): Task started...

vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log(401455): SingleHostScan caught exception: No metadata found for the platform: esx, 4.1.0, INTL with code: -1

vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log(401456): Task execution has failed: No metadata found for the platform: esx, 4.1.0, INTL

vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log(401457): A subTask finished: SingleHostScanTask

vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log(401639): Task finished, state: 3

0 Kudos
lancevo7
Contributor
Contributor

My problem is resolved when I reinstall vcenter Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1ppInc
Contributor
Contributor

Did you actually re-install vCenter or just update manager?

I'm still having the problem, should I uninstall and re-install? or just try to repair the installation?

0 Kudos
lancevo7
Contributor
Contributor

I reinstall after format my machine, but i think you delete vcenter and reinstall it is ok ! (not delete the database)

0 Kudos
1ppInc
Contributor
Contributor

I have two hosts in a cluster attached to this vCenter server... I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas on how to resolve without uninstalling vCenter

If worse comes to worse I can break the hosts out of the cluster with some vMotion craziness and then remove vCenter, but it seems like a bunch of unnessecary work to me.

0 Kudos
lancevo7
Contributor
Contributor

is not a probleme, just not delete database, launch install, and reinstall it with the same database, this is not affect the esx Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1ppInc
Contributor
Contributor

I queried dbo.VCI_METADATA_FILES and I only found 3 lines in their indicating metadata for 4.0.0

ID1 vmw-ESX-4.0.0-metadata.zip

ID2 vmw-ESXi-4.0.0-metadata.zip

ID3 csco-VEM-4.0.0-metadata.zip

Uninstalling and reinstalling VMware Update Manager and overwriting the DB does not seem to resolve the issue.

The database shows a download URL for the 4.0.0 metadata as:

https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/vmw/vmw-ESX-4.0.0-metadata.zip

I tried modifying the URL to read vmw-ESX-4.1.0-metadata.zip and I get an error "File Not Found"

Is this a problem with the update data being fed to the new Update Manager?

0 Kudos
lancevo7
Contributor
Contributor

I think you should be contact support !

your esx, vcenter are in 4.1 ?

0 Kudos
1ppInc
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I first created a new fresh installation of vCenter 4.1 on a new server with Update Manager 4.1.

I then joined my 4.0u1 ESX hosts to the new vCenter 4.1 and added the Host Upgrade ZIP file.

Then upgraded my ESX hosts to 4.1. This was successful, both remediation tasks completed.

But now when I try to scan those hosts with Update Manager, it will not do it, throws errors about metadata missing.

0 Kudos
lancevo7
Contributor
Contributor

i'm sorry i'm newbies in vmware and i can't help you ! i think you should be contact support !

0 Kudos
1ppInc
Contributor
Contributor

HostUpdateDepotManager' 3892 WARN] No platform found for : esx-4.1.0-INTL

This is another line from the Update Manager Logs.

Does anyone else have any ideas or is running in to the same problem?

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I was able to resolve this issue. Here's what my issue was and how I fixed it.

I went from ESX 4.0 to ESX 4.1. I also upgraded vCenter from 4.0 to 4.1. The host/vCenter upgrade went fine, however once I was all done I tried to scan my hosts to see if any new patches were available.

That's when it would fail.

I had to uninstall the update manager component on my vCenter server. When I did a reinstall I made sure it did an override of the old database data (only for update manager NOT vCenter DB). After that update manager can now scan my ESX 4.1 hosts with no issues.

Hope this helps someone out there.

0 Kudos
asg2ki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually I tried the Update Manager reinstallation myself, and I'm sorry to say but only the very first scan of the v4.1 ESX hosts worked fine afterwards. Although my ESX hosts are compliant with all patches now the scan task keep failing again and I have the feeling it's either a bug within Update Manager, or there is something else missing from the picture.

I don't think that reinstallation of Virtual Center from scratch would resolve this issue either but I believe this problem is related specifically to the 4.1 versioned ESX hosts. I don't have the chance to scan 4.0 hosts right now, however I can confirm that scanning v3.5 Update 5 hosts works just fine. So the problem might be originated by the missing MetaData information on VMware's site as indicated in the previous posts unless there is some kind of an internal glitch throughout the VC and UM databases. I guess this is just another possibility based on some other threads within the VMware's community.

Cheers

0 Kudos
asg2ki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One thing I forgot to mention is that my VC and UM instances are hosted separately with their own standalone databases. Considering the fact that I didn't set specific credentials for the SQL connectivity, but I just used the default one, I'm wondering if the problem is somehow related to SQL permissioning. On another note I'm using a single domain based service account for the VC instance as well as the connectivity between UM and VC so technically speaking it shouldn't be a permissioning related issue but who knows...

Cheers

0 Kudos
RobVM
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. VUM appears to be working fine on version 4.0 hosts, just not version 4.1.

The error in the VUM log: No metadata found for the platform: esx, 4.1.0, INTL with code: -1

VUM really is a pain sometimes.

0 Kudos
Exwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That matches what I'm seeing. I just installed VC and VUM as 4.1, and added a 4.0U2 and 4.1 ESXi host. Scans of the 4.0U2 host are ok, scans of the 4.1 host fail:

"No metadata found for the platform: embeddedEsx, 4.1.0, INTL"

If I go into the Update Manager Patch Repository tab, and put "EmbeddedEsx" in for the search string, the returned list only includes patches for ESXi 4.0/ESX 4.0. That makes sense, since VMWare's webpage doesn't list any patches for 4.1, nor does it include the category - none have been released yet.

On a separate 4.1 deployment, scans are returning without an error. That instance of Update Manager has the Dell Equallogic patch loaded onto it, which is only for 4.1, so it returns 1 result.

This looks like nothing more than poor error handling in Update Manager.

0 Kudos
Atmos4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yea, I'm also getting "No metadata found for the platform: embeddedEsx, 4.1.0, German", after upgrading my hosts to ESXi 4.1 and I agree it's probably a very poor way of saying: "There are no Updates for ESXi 4.1.0 yet."

Somehow I feel like VMware has been rushing the 4.1.0 release. Upgrade was nothing but trouble so far, even worse than 3.5 -> 4.0.

0 Kudos
CCBG
Contributor
Contributor

I've had this issue for some time & have contacted support. I will post what their resolution is.

0 Kudos