VMware Cloud Community
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Error 25085.Setup failed to register VMware vCenter Update Manager extension to VMware vCenter Server

Thought I'd share this as its taken me a while to figure out why an Update Manager install on top of a working vCenter 4.0 kept failing with the above error. This was on x64 but I suspect it will be the same on x86.

Although you can generate an MSI log from the update manager installer executable (it doesn't like you running the msi directly), this doesn't help as it just gives the error message without any detail or context. The key log file was vminst.log which is found in %TEMP% for the user running the installer. In there it gives the command line given to the vciInstallUtils.exe program (which is run by a custom action) which when run manually shows me that I've been a muppet and given the account that I specified for VC access in the installer the wrong permissions in VC. A quick change of the permissions, rerun the installer and it's working.

It's also interesting because it shows why you need to have no special characters, such as spaces or quote marks, in the password you specify since it is passed unquoted, via the -P option, to the vciInstallUtils.exe program so spaces will be interpreted as a separate command line option.

VMware Update Manager-build-162871: 10/21/09 19:44:55 -

Begin Logging -

VMware Update Manager-build-162871: 10/21/09 19:44:55 --- CA exec: VMRegisterExtension

VMware Update Manager-build-162871: 10/21/09 19:44:55 INFO: Reg/UnReg extn command: ["-v 192.168.0.30 -p 80 -U "leech\svc_vmware" -P *** -S "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\extension.xml" -C "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager
" -L "C:\DOCUME1\admingl\LOCALS1\Temp
" -O extupdate"]

VMware Update Manager-build-162871: 10/21/09 19:44:55 AppendPath::done Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vciInstallUtils.exe

VMware Update Manager-build-162871: 10/21/09 19:44:55 Found "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vciInstallUtils.exe"

VMware Update Manager-build-162871: 10/21/09 19:45:00 Process returned 199

VMware Update Manager-build-162871: 10/21/09 19:45:00 Error:: Unknown VC error

VMware Update Manager-build-162871: 10/21/09 19:45:00 ERROR: VUM registeration with VC failed

VMware Update Manager-build-162871: 10/21/09 19:45:00 Posting error message 25085

The vciInstallUtils.exe run manually with the command line from the log file gave:

Product = VMware UpdateManager, Version = 4.0.0, Build = 162871

VC server URL:

Connecting to host 192.168.0.30 on port 80 using protocol http

Authenticating user leech\svc_vmware

Logged in!

MethodFault error: vim.fault.NoPermission

The extension registration failed

Register extension failed 1066

I hope this saves someone else the few hours it has taken me to get to the bottom of it.

Guy Leech

VMware vExpert 2009

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm having problem in accessing my new vcenter, the

normal ESXiu1 operation is working fine in vcenter 4.0u1 except I'm

getting this error:

There was an error connecting to VMware vCenter Update Manager vCenter01.domain.com:8084 Database temporarily unavailable

XXX com.vmware.vcIntegrity.SigUpdateTask.label not found XXX

vCenter01.domain.com

Queued

VMware vCenter Update Manager Update Download

but when I followed your suggestion to execute the exe file it failed as in the screenshot ?

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
areels
Contributor
Contributor

"VC access in the installer the wrong permissions in VC. A quick change of the permissions, rerun the installer and it's working."

Can you please explain how to change permissions?

0 Kudos
itsgroupmike
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into this same issue.  I was using an account for VUM that is in the Windows Administrator group on the local machine.  “Administrators” is mapped in vCenter Permissions tab to be vCenter administrators as well, but this inheritance as not picked up.  I explicitly defined Administrator permission for the account under which VUM was supposed to run/install and it worked.  To answer your question on how:  open VI client, click the vCenter server at the top of the hierarchy then click the Permissions tab.  You can right click in the white space and select add permission.

0 Kudos