VMware Cloud Community
NickBooth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Email Notification

Hi all

I had an issue where Update manager caused Virtual Centre to shutdown. Despite trying eveything I could to repair, it became what I though was easier to uninstall, reinstall and create a new DB. I did this with a little hassle here and there, but eveything seems to be working except email notifications that it has downloaded new updates. I ran a few tests and checked the update folder and files are present. I have added a second email address for it to email to and nothing ever comes. All other email alerts from Virtual Centre get delivered without issue so know the problem is not exchange server setup etc.

Any ideas that might be able help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If it is the case I would do the following:

- setup VC -> Administration -> VC server settings -> Mail settings - setup SMTP server and account

- go to the highest Inventory level and edit one VM alarm definitioins to send notifications - for instance - set VM memory usage to send an email if the usage is below 5 %

- if you receive the email your VC mail settings are OK and you should check your VUM settings - go to VUM - Configuration -Patch Download - Edit patch downloads

- In Schedule Update Download wizard or pre-defined scheduled task properties - input your email that VUM will sent the notification

If everything is OK you should get an email with subject similar to "VMware vCenter Update Manager download alert: ESX(critical): 93(52) "... if it is NOT - probably it's VCU4/VUM issue and not in your configuration

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi Nick,

What VC/VUM versions do you have? You are saying that all other email notifications work except VUM download patch notification. I assume that VM alarms email notification is OK.

Did VUM email notification work properly before your VC DB failure?

Try with only one email address set for VUM notification and post the result?

best regards,

Petko

0 Kudos
NickBooth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Sorry for the lacking information. ESX is currently @ Update2 with no other updates added (due to be upgraded on week commencing 14th April) Virtual Center was updated about a week before hand to 2.5 Update 4. It had all worked fine and had even downloaded a new set of updates after the upgrade to VC Update 4 but may have been the cause. I am starting to also doubt it has actually done anything since the first re-install. Checking a guest there are updates showing as required downloading but not showing up in VUM. Which probaly explains why I am not getting any email notifications.

I have noticed that the VCI-INTEGRITY.XML file is completely different to the previous version. I tried copying a backup copy into the VUM but it doesn't like this so guess the VC Update 4 has changed this. I will check the VUM log file and post some more information of what it thinks it is doing

0 Kudos
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If it is the case I would do the following:

- setup VC -> Administration -> VC server settings -> Mail settings - setup SMTP server and account

- go to the highest Inventory level and edit one VM alarm definitioins to send notifications - for instance - set VM memory usage to send an email if the usage is below 5 %

- if you receive the email your VC mail settings are OK and you should check your VUM settings - go to VUM - Configuration -Patch Download - Edit patch downloads

- In Schedule Update Download wizard or pre-defined scheduled task properties - input your email that VUM will sent the notification

If everything is OK you should get an email with subject similar to "VMware vCenter Update Manager download alert: ESX(critical): 93(52) "... if it is NOT - probably it's VCU4/VUM issue and not in your configuration

0 Kudos
NickBooth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply, I have already tried all of that and presumed that my config was correct as I had been getting emails re machines cpu usage and memory. I think the problem is much deeper in VUM. the update check appears to complete succesfully with no errors but think it is really failing hence the lack of email message but it feels like it is stopping before it has even connected to the internet. Should it download all updates for windows or does it just download them when required?

0 Kudos
petkom
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I think that it gets only patch metadata needed for scan. Then if any particular patch is required for remediation - it is downloaded.

0 Kudos