VMware Cloud Community
Absum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.0 to 5.1 manually download patch??

I'm sorry, this is an idiot question.  I'd like to use update manager to update my esxi hosts from 5.0 to 5.1c(latest patch), however I'm in a situation where I need to download the patches manually.  I can not figure which patch I should download for the initial 5.0 to 5.1 update.  Again, I know this is probably staring me right in the face

ESXi510-201310001?

ESXi510-201307001?

update-from-esxi5.1-5.1_update01?

Probably a document that explains it, but I can't for the life of me find it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For the initial upgrade from v5.0 to v5.1 you need to upload the latest ESXi 5.1 installation .iso image in Update Manager and create a "Host Upgrade Baseline". To apply the latest patches you may create a patch baseline with the latest patch bundle and use this to patch the previously upgraded hosts.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For the initial upgrade from v5.0 to v5.1 you need to upload the latest ESXi 5.1 installation .iso image in Update Manager and create a "Host Upgrade Baseline". To apply the latest patches you may create a patch baseline with the latest patch bundle and use this to patch the previously upgraded hosts.

André

0 Kudos
Absum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome, thanks....I'm a dummy for not figuring that out.

0 Kudos
Absum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Quick follow up

After upgrading to 5.1 update 1 using the iso, do I have to install all of the patches released after 5.1?  As in, if I want to bring the hosts up to date, do I have to install each induvidual patch, or do the later patches include the changes in the earlier patches, thus I only need to install the latest patch?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Each of the patch bundles includes all the components, so you just need to apply the latest patch bundle. Take  a look at VMware Front Experience: Are ESXi 5.x patches cumulative? which explains this and also provides a link to a spreadsheet which shows what's been updated in the different patches.

André