VMware Cloud Community
canadus
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Build number after upgrade is strange

hi everyone.

i have 3 esx servers installed.. all 3 installed about a year ago.

i have ben using update manager to update the esx servers, i wanted to try view composer and read that it nedded esx U3 installed.

i downloaded the esx3.5 U3 install cd and chose to update my esx server.

now after that i noticed the version numbers are all wrong,,

my old servers have version 143128 and in update manager they have 101 compliant updates

the new upgraded server have version 123630 and in update manager it have 47 compliant updates ?????

now that is strange to me,,, i thought the new "updated" server should have at least as high version number as the others ? and the update manager cant update it to higher build number.

soo whats wrong,,, i guess i am just an idiot and the answer is easy, but i hope someone can tell me why this is as it is.

hope someone will take the time to ansver me, and i hope i have made myself clear about that the problem is

thanks in advance

Tommi

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

What you see is the correct U3 build number, after installing all current updates and patches for U3, you should be "back" at build 143128.

I guess the other servers are up-to-date with patches?!

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
canadus
Contributor
Contributor

hi Gerrit

thanks for your reply.

i am not sure i get your ansver, i cannot update the server i "updated" with the 3.5 U3 install CD. the update manager only say there are 47 compliant updates, so how can i update it ??

the other servers that bave build number 143128 have they ben upgraded to U3 with the update manager updates?? or do i have to run the install CD for that ??

cheers

Tommi

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Well, AFAIK 123630 is U3 without any Patches. The current build U3 with all available Patches should be 143128. Is your baseline configured correctly?

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
canadus
Contributor
Contributor

hi again.

i use the samme baselines as the 2 other servers that have version 143128 ??

strange that update manager only see 47 updates for the "new" server and 101 for the old ones... same baseline

EDIT "i have tried erasing all my baselines and creating new ones, again, the old servers have version 143128 with 101 compliant updates, and the "new installed" have version 123630 with 47 compliant updates"

any ideas ???

Tommi

0 Kudos
canadus
Contributor
Contributor

hi everyone.

i have added some pictures of my version number,, the first is the one that "wont upgrade" the second it the old servers that update s they should.

any more help would be apriciated.

Tommi

0 Kudos