VMware Cloud Community
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Download Patch Definitions In Progress

Hi All,

We have an issue where the Download Patch Definitions job just remains "In Progress".

I've viewed the following thread and removed the 3.5 Patch definitions URL as per some of the suggestions.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/216515

If I use the Download in the Update manager button to download the patch definitions everything works as expected. as does the Test connections button.

If I try and cancel the In Progress task, then the Cancel remains In Progress for ever.

We're running vCenter 4.1.0.

I'm not quite sure where to look for logs as to what's going on. I looked on the vCentre Server but there doesn't appear to be an obvious logs directory for the Updatemanager.

Cheers,

Rob.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
D-TECH
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and don't have Capacity IQ installed.  It has been doing this for several weeks now. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
SalSolo
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently attending Vmworld in Copenhagen so responses will be slow and phone will be unavailable. If critical please call our office on +45 72 16 07 77

0 Kudos
jharris
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here - we now have three "Cancel download of Patch Definitions" tasks "In Progress".  We did have the CapIQ evaluation installed, but it expired and had been removed several months ago.  We've had disabled the VI3 patch downloads already which may have helped originally.  We then re-enabled it which might have helped for a week, and then the probelm came back.  It's been disabled again.  We've tried recycling the VUM services, but it just leaves a new cancel task in the queue.  Restarting vCenter clears them of course, but that's not a desirable workaround to be doing regularly.

Does anyone know what was special about the CapIQ appliance that might have triggered this issue?  I'm wondering if other appliances either from VMware or others might be causing this.

0 Kudos
quankenyu
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Windows2008R2 for vcenter server, the problem started after I installed MS patches and rebooted server.

It could be caused by one of the MS update below.

Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2533552)

Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2570791)

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2570947)

Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2616676)

Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2529073)

Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB982018)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - September 2011 (KB890830)

-- I am not able to uninstall those patches to troubleshoot problem since it is a production environment.

0 Kudos
Kastigar12
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

did someone managed to solve this issue?

We have exactly the same issue. "Download patch definitions" starts and hanging up. If we cancel it, than "Canceling download ..." stack.

By trying to restart the Update Service get the service in stopping state. We have to restart the entire server.

After restarting new task "Download patch definitions" it started and stack again.

Manual test “download now” is working just fine. ESX 3x Patches are deselected.

vCenter 4.1.0 on Win2008 R2 Server.

Thanks for any clues.

0 Kudos
f-seal
Contributor
Contributor

Several months ago I re-selected the 3.x patches and restarted the vCenter server and my issue has never came back. I also removed the plugin for an old CapacityIQ trial. Not sure which made the difference.

Frank

0 Kudos
Kastigar12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for answer.

I have tried it as well, does not help in my case.

0 Kudos
Kastigar12
Contributor
Contributor

My problem is solved. Probably I have this task hanging in the task queue from some other time. With server restart one task was canceled but a new one instead was generated and this circle was uninterrupted.

I could not stop the service, if I tried, service was placed in "stopping" state. So I have change start mode to manual and restart the server. After that i have renamed the hostupdate folder and start the service again. patch download task was not start.

Than I have stopot the service again, deleted the new hostupdate folder and renamed the old one back.

After starting the service, I have no hanging patch download task. Each new patch download task created and done successfully.

So my problem is solved.

Regards

0 Kudos
jobes
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same problem.  Download Patch Definitions, and Scanning Virtual Appliance.  So I started digging.  I am using 4.1 on 2k8-r264 for the vSphere and the Update Manager (same VM).  After a reboot, I was seeing another issue with the vcenter  Server service failling to start automatic.  Event ID 1000.

So I chased that for a while.  I suspected a issue with connectivity to the MSSQL (on the same server).  Turns out when I tried pinging the short name of the server, it replyed with a IP6 mac of the tunnining nic on the server(not being used).  I had already disabled IP6 for the nic being used.

So that led to an article on turnning off IPHelper in services. I just set it to manual, and stopped the service.  The ping test goes better and on restart of the VM my vcenter service started correctly and Patch Downloads compleated in a flash.

Hope this helps some of you.

0 Kudos
MartinSvec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I run into this problem with vSphere 5. Same symptoms as described in this discussion: frozen task "Download Patch Definitions. Scanning Virtual Appliance.", cancelling the task does not work, VUM service cannot be stopped, and after killing its process and restarting the service another download task is automatically started.

In our case, the following entries in VUM log were repeated indefinitely:

[2011-12-06 20:26:43:463 'InventoryTree' 5520 DEBUG]  [InventoryTree, 1629] Locking vm-40
[2011-12-06 20:26:43:463 'InventoryTree' 5520 ERROR]  [InventoryTree, 137] Timed out while acquiring the lock for vm-40
[2011-12-06 20:26:43:463 'InventoryTree' 5520 WARN]  [InventoryTree, 1636] Failed to lock vm-40; Timed out while acquiring the lock for vm-40
[2011-12-06 20:26:43:463 'entityLocker' 5520 INFO]  [entityLocker, 77] Entities to be locked: 1, entities actually locked: 0

Using vCenter MOB browser, I realized that vm-40 is a VMware Management Assistant appliance. So I stopped the appliance, killed VUM service, started the service again, started the appliance, and the problem disappeared.

0 Kudos
tetrapackage
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and haven't been able to solve it yet. Does anyone fixed it already? If so, I wanna know how.

0 Kudos
Kastigar12
Contributor
Contributor

Than just read the thread. In it are 4-5 solutions.

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well for us I can confirm its the vMA thats causing the issue. Power it off restart update manager - everything works - until next time... Anyone have any ideas on either a) skipping the vma machine for the scan or b) actually scanning it successfully?

0 Kudos
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure the service account is running under a user that is allowed proxy access out bound. Then use that same user account for the proxy credentials. If the service hangs when making these changes, force restart it or reboot VUM and or vCenter server. Also make sure the firwall ports are open and DNS resolves.

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In our case it has nothing to do with the ability to download patches -- it purely seems to be unsuccessfully trying to scan the vma appliance. If we switch the appliance off the patch download runs normally -- there seems to be some issue with scanning the vma appliance -- its not critical but its a pain....

0 Kudos
Boldeman
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue, deselecting 3.5 updates, rebooting VC never solved my problem..... Until I shutdown my vCenter Mobile Access appliance. The updating task has been running for close to 2 weeks, as soon as the vCMA was shutdown the download task completed.

0 Kudos
zzmax65
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The same issue here... our vCenter is 4.1U2 (updated yesterday...) and powering off the vCMA (vCenter Mobile Access) is the (temporary) solution. I then look at the settings of this vm (tab options->advanced), and filling up the product name, version, full version, product url and vendor url seems to be the real solution.

Ciao Max

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And what are the correct url's? Save me looking too hard... Smiley Happy

Best regards

Simon Bernard

Technical Manager, OSI

Operating System Services

Amadeus Data Processing

T: +49 8122435822

sbernard@amadeus.com

www.amadeus.com<http://www.amadeus.com/>;

<www.amadeus.com>

To: Simon Bernard <sbernard@amadeus.com>

Date: 16-02-12 15:14

Subject: New message: "Download Patch Definitions In Progress"

0 Kudos
autosystem
Contributor
Contributor

These are the links i've used:

Product url http://labs.vmware.com/flings/vcma

Vendor url http://labs.vmware.com

Ciao Max

0 Kudos
zzmax65
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, autosystem is an account I've used to register a customer, but the url are valid:

Product url http://labs.vmware.com/flings/vcma

Vendor url http://labs.vmware.com

Ciao Max

0 Kudos