VMware Cloud Community
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Download Patch Definitions In Progress

Hi All,

We have an issue where the Download Patch Definitions job just remains "In Progress".

I've viewed the following thread and removed the 3.5 Patch definitions URL as per some of the suggestions.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/216515

If I use the Download in the Update manager button to download the patch definitions everything works as expected. as does the Test connections button.

If I try and cancel the In Progress task, then the Cancel remains In Progress for ever.

We're running vCenter 4.1.0.

I'm not quite sure where to look for logs as to what's going on. I looked on the vCentre Server but there doesn't appear to be an obvious logs directory for the Updatemanager.

Cheers,

Rob.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
gabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The same issue here. Although we removed the esx3.x link from the xml file, in the GUI the option is still listed ... and the download still runs with task "scanning virtual appliance" which is more confusing 😞

If someone has any hint how to fix this, please share it with us.

Thanks,

Gabriel

0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the "Scanning virtual appliance" listed as well.

I've not removed anything from XML Files, I just unchecked the ESX3 option in the GUI.

Where was the xml fileyou looked at, I've found vci-integrity.xml.

0 Kudos
gabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We unchecked the ESX3 option in GUI at first but no positive result.

Then, we removed the coresponding line from the vci-integrity.xml expecting that the ESX3 entry will disappear from the GUI, which didn't happen.

Of course, services were restarted after each change.

So now, ESX3 is removed from vci-integrity.xml and also disabled from the GUI but situation is the same.

Maybe one important aspect - we upgraded from version 4 to 4.1 and VUM was working fine before the upgrade.

Gabriel

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Rob,

I presume that you are behind a proxy?

Does the proxy require authentication and have you specified valid credentials?

I was once battling to get through a proxy that required creds etc, so created a local workaround where I ran a squid proxy on my server and got the squid proxy to communicate with the proxy that required authentication.

I have a guide on my blog as to how to set up the squid proxy - but it was not written directly for this problem (though if you wanted to have a go, all you'd need to do is direct the Server downloading the patches at the Squid Proxy that you build)

This of course, would be a workaround, not a fix (but if you are really battling, worth a try?)

have a look at :

http://www.get-virtual.info/2011/01/20/authenticating-through-a-proxy-when-the-app-has-no-option-to-...

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Gaby,

Double check that the service accounts that you use for VMware are all still as they were before the upgrade (Windows services)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes we're behind a proxy, but it doesn't require credentials. Test connection works as does using the Download button from the screen so I don't think the proxy is an issue.

I've found I cannot restart the Update Manager service, that process just stalls and I need to kill the process and then start the service.

We also had a problem where Update manager failed with an Authentication issue uploading a patch. The "fix" for that involved stopping the Update Manager service and killing any associated java processes.

After each time I seem to get another Download Patch Definitions process started.

I might get vCentre restarted to flush out anything and if issues persist it may be time to log a call.

0 Kudos
gabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The service credentials are the right ones.

We removed VUM completely and installed it again with a new db. Everything went fine and VUM seemed to work until the latest patches for 4.1u1 were released. Since then it went crazy and it is stuck at the same Scanning Virtual Appliance task ...

Gabriel

0 Kudos
f-seal
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have any luck resolving this? I started having this issue a couple days ago. My setup is very similar. Running vCenter 4.1 on a new server after upgraded. The VUM db and stuff was not carried over since we only use it for Host patching and it was easier to setup new and download. It has been working fine for a month or more. I also had my updates set to not download ESX 3.x patches.

For testing I now have no patch sources selected but once I restart the update and vCenter services, it still comes back and does the same thing.  Not sure what "Scanning virtual appliance" means but thats as far as it gets.

0 Kudos
f-seal
Contributor
Contributor

Mine is fixed now. As someone mentioned earlier, it was a Java process that was stuck. Kill this or reboot the vCenter server (safer method) and auto download worked and disappeared from queue as normal.

0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our issue has gone away after the latest round of MS patches followed by Server reboot.

I did try killing various Java processes at one point, but that just seemed to make Update Manager more unstable.

Not updated to U1 yet, so maybe that's next on the list.

Seems as though the "fix" is a reboot, but how long the fix works for could be interesting.

We've removed the 3.5 patch list, so that may increase the reliability.

0 Kudos
f-seal
Contributor
Contributor

I think deselecting the 3.5 patches is what started my issue. I selected it again when trying to restart services. Left it selected when I rebooted also. I'll leave it selected and keep my fingers crossed.

My vCenter is U1, so that didn't help.

0 Kudos
mike008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue with vCenter 4.1. Nothing seems to work other than a reboot. It isn't bad enough to reboot though really, rather just an annoyance. Anyone come up with a fix for it or take the time to open a case with support? I am considering opening a case.

Mike

0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ours seems to have stabalised. We're still not at U1 on vCenter. But we did remove the ESX 3 options.

No idea what triggers the issue or the solution (other than a reboot) is.

0 Kudos
SalSolo
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm. I just ran into this issue 2 days ago and not even a restart of the server did anything.

I'm running the latest version of vCenter. Does anyone have any solution for this?

0 Kudos
D1Q4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all..

i had some similiar issuee, i've tried to restart the VC and VUM, but it shows stuck again.

if im canceling the downloading patch, the task going stuck again.

any idea to resolve this issuee??

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi..

Have you tried restarting the services of VUM?, This often gets stuck and causes queuing processes.Also please check the ODBC connection VUM, this often can also fail. If it continues happening, re install the VUM and should solve the problem.

Best Regards.

Mario Greene

www.virtualizacion.cl

0 Kudos
f-seal
Contributor
Contributor

Mine started when I configured it to stop downloading patches for 3.5. I eventually set it back to download and rebooted the vCenter server (due to multiple VUM java processes being stuck). Since then, mine is back to normal.

0 Kudos
D1Q4
Contributor
Contributor

hi mario..

yes sure i ever try to restarting the services, moreover im restarting the VMs.. but it didnt help, they downloading the patch again and of course, stuck again. Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

that is the hard one for me to re installing VUM, because it installed by VMware PSO. Smiley Sad

is there any other clues???

0 Kudos
mike008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have Capacity IQ?  I have to shut it down before manually running the patch download update. Apparently this is a known issue that should be fixed in Update 2, I am told. May not be the fix for everyone but it worked for us.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200011...

Mike

0 Kudos