VMware Cloud Community
khans567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disk Space is growing day by day in GBs of Drive D where VMware Update Manager Service is installed

vCenter Server 6.0  disk space is growing automatically on daily basis in GBs. On which disk, vCneter Update Manager is installed. Size of this particular Drive is 50 GB in which only 4 GB data is reside however its space has been consumed 43 GB.

When all space has been occupied of this Drive  ( Drive D) then vCenter Server Services goes stop. I have no idea where is the problem and could not find out the root cause. Secondly, other-than vCenter Update Manager Server Services, all vCenter Server 6.0 related services are installed on Drive C. 

Internet Services are enabled on vCenter Server but i have disabled the option on Update Manager configuration Tab for auto downloading VMware patches. Please help out.......

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
praveenkv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As per your last update SQL is installed on D drive. Normally Database Transition Log will grow,

- check the SQL logs in D drive

- Shrink the SQL Log file to reduce the space.

Steps:

1. Login SQL Management Studio
  2. Expand Databases and then right-click the database that you want to shrink.
  3. Point to Tasks, point to Shrink, and then click Files.
  4. Select the file type and file name.
  5. Click OK.

--- If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful  --

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WhiskyTangoFoxt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any change there could be some VCenter logs on this drive? You mention that VCenter services come to a stop when the drive is full, that will happen if there is nowhere to write logs. I'm not familiar with the Windows version of VCenter, but is the directory structure windows based, that can be browsed with something like Treesize? On the VCenter appliance I use "find . -type d -print0 | xargs -0 du | sort -n | tail -10 | cut -f2 | xargs -I{} du -sh {}" to find the largest directories on a disk and substituting the "d" to "f" to find the largest 10 files.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Check the events on event viewer and see if there are any application errors. It might be also because of the vpxd dumps. Check things like DB connectivity and also the logs to see what exactly is going wrong. Make sure you get it fixed sooner as this will make the services stop and make it harder for you to troubleshoot.

Also, try using treesize which is a free tool to assess what is taking up so much space. Or you can also run the command provided above.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
khans567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Dear for quick reply but TreeSize software could also not help to find out the file on Drive D which size is growing. I have attached screenshot of Drive D for reference.

0 Kudos
khans567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In addition to my last post, Actually, SQL Server is installed on Drive D. When Drive D is full then SQL Server Services goes to stop. Due to unavailability of SQL Server service, vCenter Server service also goes to stop.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

TreeSize shows an exclamation mark for the "System Volume Information" folder. Did you run TreeSize in elevated mode, i.e. "Run as Administrator" yet?

With the information you provided the issue might be related to system protection maintaining multiple system restore points!? Please check the System Protection settings for the drives, and either disable it or adjust the maximum disk space that this feature should use.

André

0 Kudos
praveenkv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As per your last update SQL is installed on D drive. Normally Database Transition Log will grow,

- check the SQL logs in D drive

- Shrink the SQL Log file to reduce the space.

Steps:

1. Login SQL Management Studio
  2. Expand Databases and then right-click the database that you want to shrink.
  3. Point to Tasks, point to Shrink, and then click Files.
  4. Select the file type and file name.
  5. Click OK.

--- If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful  --

0 Kudos
khans567
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Praveenkn,

Actually, Option is selected "Full" on SQL Database. Which has copied space on Drive D for transition Log. Now, my issue has been resolved after shrinking the SQL Log file. Secondly,

i would like to thanks of Mr, Andre. who will share with me the Tool " TreeSize" that was very helping for me to find-out the file which is consuming space of Drive D. Actually, I do not run this utility with "run as administrator" option in my first attempt.

Thank you all for providing support to fix out the issue.

0 Kudos