VMware Cloud Community
cnetbuild1
Contributor
Contributor

Compliance is Missing

I usually update guests with WSUS. Today, I tried the Update Manager. When the update manager finished, I logged in to find WSUS still had some updates that needed to be done. So, I went into Update Manager to seek out those updates to see why they weren't applied. One of the missing updates (I only hunted through the list until I found one) was for KB 969947. It was critical severity, and it was released on 11/9. Under COMPLIANCE it says "Missing". What does Missing mean? Does it mean I have to run remediation again and it would install? Or does it mean it is missing from the update manager's library? I'm confused.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cnetbuild1
Contributor
Contributor

I want to determine if Update Manager is a suitable replacement for WSUS. In addition to running Update Manager on a Windows Server guest, I ran it on a Windows XP guest. When done, WSUS said the following KB's were missed: 943729, 968930, 971513, 931125, 939603, 89030. I went into patch details and searched for these numbers and they do not appear. I went to my patch repository, and they aren't in it. Am I missing something? Or is Update Manager not intended to be a replacement for Window's Update Server?

0 Kudos
InfraArch
Contributor
Contributor

I have applied ESX host patches using VUM, and I also got the ambiguous 'missing' categorization against some patches. I applied them anyway, and they worked fine. The deduction I made from that is that 'missing' identifies a patch known to be missing from the host, and 'staged' is for patches that are not able to be identified as 'missing'.

0 Kudos