VMware Cloud Community
mhauck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Compliance = Missing, but updates don't install

We have 12 identical H/P blades divided into two clusters.

We have two Update Manager baselines for these clusters. One contains the VMware specific updates and the other contains the H/P updates.

I staged and remediated the first cluster and all updates were installed and the hosts show as compliant.

The second cluster installed all VMware updates but did not install six of the H/P updates;

pastedImage_1.png

In case it matters, the VMware updates included 5.0 update 3.

The staging task and the remediation task show as completing successfully.

I have tried this multiple times on one of the hosts. Manually put the host into maint mode. Rebooted the host.

I ran "esxcli software vib list" on one host in each cluster (assuming that is the way to determine what H/P updates have been installed) and it shows the same information for both;

pastedImage_4.png

Not sure where to go to find out why one cluster is showing as compliant and the other is not.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jlaco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We just tried removing all of the missing patches from the baseline except for the latest two and those two installed successfully and seems to have installed the others as well since they now show as installed and the host is compliant now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jlaco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello.  We have exactly the same issue with our esxi 5 hosts.  I mean the exact same HP patches...  The updates show as missing but won't install.  Did you ever resolve the issue?  We are going to try some other things and will post back if we find anything.

0 Kudos
mhauck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I didn't get any responses here, so I cross posted this to the ESX 5 forum here;

Update Compliance = Missing

So far the only response has been to look at the Update Manager log. I will be digging into that today.

0 Kudos
jlaco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We just tried removing all of the missing patches from the baseline except for the latest two and those two installed successfully and seems to have installed the others as well since they now show as installed and the host is compliant now.

0 Kudos
mhauck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, if I understand correctly, you removed all six except for the two most recent (from 09/30/13)?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
mhauck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm this.

I removed all H/P patches from the baseline except for the two most recent and now the host shows as being compliant.

As far as the hosts only needing the most recent versions, I guess that is logical. Not sure why they wouldn't install these updates when they were mixed with the others though.

Also, not sure why my other identically configured hosts in the other cluster installed everything just fine.

Either way it is resolved.

Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos
jlaco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're welcome.  Glad I could help.

0 Kudos