VMware Cloud Community
courttechnology
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot download VIB: ''. This might be because of network issues or the specified VIB does NOT exist

Hello,

I'm attempting to use Lifecycle Manager to update a cluster using images instead of using updates.

I'm attempting to move this particular cluster from 7.01d to 7.01e so it's not much of an update but it should be good enough for a test.

I have chosen the correct disk image and have selected the (what I believe to be) the correct vendor add-on, and it all seems to pass the checks.  When I actually attempt to install it to one of the servers it fails with the error:

Cannot download VIB: ''. This might be because of network issues or the specified VIB does NOT exist or does NOT have a proper 'read' privilege set. Please make sure the specified VIB exists and is accessible from vCenter Server.

How do I get past this? I am working as an admin of the system.

Thanks.

-Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
courttechnology
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In case anyone is having this issue, I opened a case with Support and these are the steps that solved the issue:

1. Please take a snapshot of the vcenter. If it’s a linked vcenter, take a powered off snapshot of all the nodes (power off all the nodes and take the snapshot, then power on the vcenter nodes.)
  1. Connect to vCenter Server Appliance  via SSH
  2. Run the shell command to switch to the BASH Shell:

shell
  3. Stop the VMware Update Manager Service:

service-control --stop vmware-updatemgr
  4. Run the following command to reset the VMware Update Manager Database:

/usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/updatemgr-utility.py reset-db
  5. Run the following Command to delete the contents of the VMware Update Manager Patch Store:

rm -rf /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/*
  6. Start the VMware Update Manager Service:

service-control --start vmware-updatemgr

Support had requested logs and after analyzing them found that I had an issue with Update Manager.

-Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies
courttechnology
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In case anyone is having this issue, I opened a case with Support and these are the steps that solved the issue:

1. Please take a snapshot of the vcenter. If it’s a linked vcenter, take a powered off snapshot of all the nodes (power off all the nodes and take the snapshot, then power on the vcenter nodes.)
  1. Connect to vCenter Server Appliance  via SSH
  2. Run the shell command to switch to the BASH Shell:

shell
  3. Stop the VMware Update Manager Service:

service-control --stop vmware-updatemgr
  4. Run the following command to reset the VMware Update Manager Database:

/usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/updatemgr-utility.py reset-db
  5. Run the following Command to delete the contents of the VMware Update Manager Patch Store:

rm -rf /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/*
  6. Start the VMware Update Manager Service:

service-control --start vmware-updatemgr

Support had requested logs and after analyzing them found that I had an issue with Update Manager.

-Mike

Sam0054
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@courttechnology 

Appreciate your tips on this. I was also faced with this issue and following the outlined steps did fix the issue.

Regards

Sam

0 Kudos