VMware Cloud Community
yozza_uk
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot Install Update Manager 5.1

I'm trying to upgrade my VUM from version 5 to 5.1 but i'm getting stuck at the point in the installer where you enter the credentials for the vCenter server, the installer hangs at this point and vpxd.exe and java.exe hit high CPU usage.

Digging through the logs it gets stuck running the vciinstallutils.exe vcversion check, running this manually give this output which rapidly repeats over and over again. Other plugins such as Remote Deploy and the ESXi Dump Collector register and install without issue.

2012-09-15T12:41:57.205+01:00 [07656 info 'VciInstallUtils'] Connecting to host 192.168.11.4 on port 80 using protocol http
-->
2012-09-15T12:41:57.214+01:00 [07656 info 'VciInstallUtils'] Authenticating user AD\Administrator
2012-09-15T12:41:57.215+01:00 [07656 verbose 'HttpConnectionPool-000010'] HttpConnectionPoolImpl created. maxPoolConnections = 1; idleTimeout = 900000000; maxOpenConnections = 1; maxConnectionAge = 0
2012-09-15T12:41:57.270+01:00 [07656 info 'VciInstallUtils'] Logged in!
2012-09-15T12:41:57.277+01:00 [07656 info 'vmomi.soapStub[8]'] Resetting stub adapter for server <cs p:02A4D1E8, TCP:192.168.11.4:80> : Closed

Different users all give the same result, upgrade installation and fresh install also gives the same result.

I can't find any information relating to this issue and I can't see anything in the vCenter or SSO logs that would indicate a problem. I've never had a problem with VUM from version 4 onwards so i'm a little shocked as to the issues i've recently had with vCenter 5.1 as a whole.

Anyone able to help?

0 Kudos
32 Replies
MichaelW007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Further update to this problem. There are two workarounds that will work as follows:

1. New DNS Entry for the vCenter Server that is not included in the CA / Cert chain

2. Local hosts file to refer to vCenter that is not covered in the CA / Cert Chain

For example if your vcenter is called vcenter51.domain.com you could use a host name or dns entry of vcenter51-nossl.domain.com. You would then refer to the psudo dns name when installing Update Manager. I expect there will be a KB developed around this problem, which will explain why it occurs and a fix I would expected in an update release.

0 Kudos
yozza_uk
Contributor
Contributor

Got round to upgrading to 5.1.0a yesterday, problem still seems to exist. Both the loopback and alternate DNS name worked for me.

0 Kudos
turkina
Contributor
Contributor

Loopback, alternate DNS, disabling UAC, local or AD credentials, AD credentials with and without domain, setting domain to default in SSO -- none of these work for me.  I get the same "unable to validate credentials" every time.  This was all working great before I updated to vCenter 5.1.0a.  Not using custom CA certificates.

VCP3/4/5, VCAP5-DCA
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This sounds like a completely different problem if you're getting an error message at all. The symptoms of this problem would cause it to lock up and get into a loop and never return an error at all. This could be indicitive of a SSO / Authentication error rather than a VUM error itself. I'd recommend that you check your SSO configuration and make sure you can log into vCenter and other things.

0 Kudos
khojs
Contributor
Contributor

use this ... change the port it should be ok .. normally port is 81

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103922...

0 Kudos
vpam
Contributor
Contributor

You can also simple use the IP of your vCenter Server instead of the DNS name. This worked for us.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you used custom certification with vc, you are most likely hitting a known issue which will be fixed in u1 release.

Workaround:

1. If vum and vc are at the same host, use Use 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' when registering to vc.

2. if vum is at different host than vc, follwing the following steps:

a) On the machine where they are installing VUM, Open c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file in notepad
   b) Add another entry in this format: <VC IP>  <Any_name>
      Ex: 10.54.246.215    Dummy_name_to_my_vc
          Do a ping to 'Dummy_name_to_my_vc' and confirm that it points to the right IP.
   c)  While installing VUM, give 'Dummy_name_to_my_vc' as VC IP. Use the same  'Dummy_name_to_my_vc' while logging in to VUM Utility.

Some customers may not accept #2 workaround due to internal security policy.

0 Kudos
Matt_B1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks!  #2 was the solution for me.  Without this, the vCenter Server Info will just hang for hours.  The installer went through fine and VUM was upgraded to 5.1

0 Kudos
ToTheCloud
Contributor
Contributor

Using the loopback method and the alternate DNS names worked great for me Smiley Happy  Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

waltert wrote:

If you used custom certification with vc, you are most likely hitting a known issue which will be fixed in u1 release.

Hi,

when this is a known issue, I would expect it to be listed at the vSphere 5.1 page under "known issues" or in the upgrade guide. I didn't find anything there, wasted many hours searching for workarounds, opened an official Support Request, the guys there weren't able to help me as well.

First time I got really mad during a vSphere Upgrade. Hope it stays the last time Smiley Wink

Tim

0 Kudos
McBain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I also am experiencing the same issue with CA Signed Certificates. You seem to be able to work around the issue by entering a vCenter name/IP that is not in your vCenter certificate or Subject Alternate names, hence why 127.0.0.1 works in a lot of cases. However if your like me and VUM is not on your vCenter server you should be able to work around it by creating a new DNS record or alias. This is messy however so I am waiting to see what support come back with.

0 Kudos
Camek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My issue was when the update process is asking for vsphere credentials the default prior to v5.1 must have been for the system to add the domain to the user you enter with v5.1 it no longer adds the domain for credentials.   So after using the format of   [mydomain]\[myuser] everything work fine....

0 Kudos
aaintveld
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, changing the Logon account of the services "VMware vCenter Inventory Service" and "VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service" to the same Logon account as the two "VMware VirtualCenter ...." services solved the problem.

0 Kudos