VMware Cloud Community
yozza_uk
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot Install Update Manager 5.1

I'm trying to upgrade my VUM from version 5 to 5.1 but i'm getting stuck at the point in the installer where you enter the credentials for the vCenter server, the installer hangs at this point and vpxd.exe and java.exe hit high CPU usage.

Digging through the logs it gets stuck running the vciinstallutils.exe vcversion check, running this manually give this output which rapidly repeats over and over again. Other plugins such as Remote Deploy and the ESXi Dump Collector register and install without issue.

2012-09-15T12:41:57.205+01:00 [07656 info 'VciInstallUtils'] Connecting to host 192.168.11.4 on port 80 using protocol http
-->
2012-09-15T12:41:57.214+01:00 [07656 info 'VciInstallUtils'] Authenticating user AD\Administrator
2012-09-15T12:41:57.215+01:00 [07656 verbose 'HttpConnectionPool-000010'] HttpConnectionPoolImpl created. maxPoolConnections = 1; idleTimeout = 900000000; maxOpenConnections = 1; maxConnectionAge = 0
2012-09-15T12:41:57.270+01:00 [07656 info 'VciInstallUtils'] Logged in!
2012-09-15T12:41:57.277+01:00 [07656 info 'vmomi.soapStub[8]'] Resetting stub adapter for server <cs p:02A4D1E8, TCP:192.168.11.4:80> : Closed

Different users all give the same result, upgrade installation and fresh install also gives the same result.

I can't find any information relating to this issue and I can't see anything in the vCenter or SSO logs that would indicate a problem. I've never had a problem with VUM from version 4 onwards so i'm a little shocked as to the issues i've recently had with vCenter 5.1 as a whole.

Anyone able to help?

0 Kudos
32 Replies
lenders
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and the same symptoms that yozza_uk has, once I enter the credentials the installer somehow freezes and on vsphere 5.1 server I see many logins and logouts from (1-2 each second) from the user that I entered.

I tried to set the vsphere server logging level to trivia, but I didn't find anything strange, only a lot of logins and logout from the update manager service user.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

I'm having the same problem upgrading my Update Manager 5.0 to 5.1.

I've opened a Support Request and will try to work out a solution with the support. I'll post it here once we fixed it.

Regards

0 Kudos
emma234
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  yozza_uk,

No luck for me also, will appreciate if any one having solution.

""He Conquers, Who Conquers Himself".
0 Kudos
Ollfried
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here...

0 Kudos
yozza_uk
Contributor
Contributor

Its related to the fact that i've changed from the default self signed certificates to domain root CA signed certificates. If I do a default install without changing them then update managed will install without issue.

Changing the certificates is a nightmare in itself with no one way that fully works, this combined with this problem just makes me even more certain 5.1 is a disaster. So much trouble after faultness 4.1->5 upgrades was certainly no what I expected.

0 Kudos
yozza_uk
Contributor
Contributor

Following the instructions here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2117809#2117809

I have managed to get an install of vCenter with proper certificates, but, this VUM error still persists. Even with the correct certificates in place and working without issue VUM still hangs and fails at the check with the vCenter installation.

0 Kudos
lenders
Contributor
Contributor

Any news? I can confirm that the problem is with custum CA root certificates, but it is supposed to be a supported configuration, it's strange to believe that in vmware they didn't test an upgrade of vmware update manager on a vsphere 5.1 server with non default ssl certificates...

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Not yet. As with any new release the VMware support is fully stretched, still waiting for a solution to my support request.

0 Kudos
yozza_uk
Contributor
Contributor

I have managed to get it to install by specifying the vCenter server address as 127.0.0.1. Obviously this is not ideal and will only work if the VUM and vCenter server are the same machine.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

It also works for me now when I enter the IP of the server. FQDN doesn't work (worked for upgrades 4.0 -> 4.1 -> 5.0 though.)

0 Kudos
yozza_uk
Contributor
Contributor

Both IPs and the FDQN of the server didn't work for me, only the loopback. And that actually fails certificate validation for obvious reasons!

0 Kudos
MichaelW007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having exactly the same problem after changing out all my certs for CA signed certificates. Which I was actually able to do successfully first time through, and the process will soon be published. However this Update Manager problem is very strange.

As it was freezing I looked at netstat and noticed that the installer was creating thousands of connections to my vCenter Server. This is why the OS appears to hang and the CPU on the vCenter goes through the roof. Why it's creating all these connections and what's happening under the covers I have no idea. But I will be finding out and I will report back when I have a solution.

0 Kudos
MichaelW007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wanted to report that I've got it working with an Update Manager server that is on the same server as vCenter when using 127.0.0.1 as the IP address. Using the actual IP address of the server or its FQDN failed to work. I'll be digging into this more tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Remiv
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

I was the same problem of you.

The problem was the windows UAC .

2 Solutions:

1 - Start installation with run as administrator

2-  Disabled UAC

reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v  EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

I hope that solutions works for you.

0 Kudos
MichaelW007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Remiv, Running as Admin didn't work, that was the first thing I tried. I haven't tried disabling UAC. I will try that next. But this very much appears to be a problem on the vCenter server itself as the problem does not occur if vCenter is using a remote database, only if it's using a local database.

0 Kudos
SPVM201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Aparantly there is a bug i vcenter / vum that couses this. It is known of by vmware. Hopefully thay will come with a fix soon.

As a workaround until it get fixed, you might wanna try the following.

Add an extra DNS record in dns that points to vcenter ip on an FQDN that is not CA attached.

I have full domain name, shortname and ip added to vcenter certificate, and could not install VUM.

So I added a new record in dns called something else - pointing to vcenter ip.. Than it worked.

Not best way to do it, and you probably will get an cert error, but until the fix comes, you got vum... Smiley Happy

Best Regard

/Jorgen Sandtorv

0 Kudos
darryldc
Contributor
Contributor

FYI, had same problem too and tried disabling UAC.  It didn't help, but adding a record to DNS and then using that name worked for me.

0 Kudos
rogue33
Contributor
Contributor

The UAC and DNS entrries did not work for me. The loopback address did though. Ugh. Thanks for the help everyone.

Jeff Jones
0 Kudos
MichaelW007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm connecting in with the guys at VMware that are troubleshooting this and will pass on this addtional information. The new DNS name that is not part of the CA is an interesting one. Thanks for the input. Hopefully we can get a reliable and documented workaround until a fix is available.

0 Kudos