VMware Cloud Community
jonedved
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't scan after upgrade to vCenter5.5 & Update Manager 5.5

I have an issue with Update Manager and finding it quite difficult to troubleshoot - I'm getting a bit lost because I can't see any obvious errors. I have spent a few days on it and went thru some threads on this forum, but can't figure it out Smiley Sad Maybe someone can help point me in the right direction?

First of all, everything worked OK before the upgrade.

Now, if I want to scan for software patches, I get a message: "VMware vSphere Update Manager had an unknown error."

Looking at the ESXi logs and Update Manager logs, can't pin-point the issue.

One thing I did notice in the xxxxlog4cpp.log file, I have many entries that complain about IPv6 connectivity. I'm not sure if I had these before. Either way, IPv6 is disabled on Update Manager and vCenter server! So why is it showing up in the log?

is there any command line that I can use to get some more information about the error?

I'm sure my network configuration is OK, IP's and DNS and all that seems to be working OK.

I hope someone can help. Sorry if this info is a bit vague.

Josef

0 Kudos
2 Replies
imourza
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Josef,

After an upgrade, did you re-download the patches? And if yes, did Download Patch Definitions task complete successfully?

Please also check VMware KB articles: VMware KB: Update Manager fails to update some hosts with an Unknown Error , VMware KB: Scanning ESXi hosts using vSphere Update Manager fails at 5% with an unknown error   .

Thanks

0 Kudos
jonedved
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thank you for your response, I did look at these articles, but the solution is not applicable, also symptoms are different. I don't really see any error messages which I find puzzling.

I ended up removing VUM and cleaning up the folders, reinstall from scratch worked a treat, 30 minutes later everything is working fine. I find VUM very difficult to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Josef

0 Kudos