VMware Cloud Community
abby21
Contributor
Contributor

Can I install a driver/cim-provider component on a esxi host using vSphere web client?

A driver or provider component kit can be installed on esxi host using esxcli commands. However a user needs to login to the esxi host using a SSH client and then issue esxcli software install commands. Can this same operation be done via vSphere web client ? A file i.e. the kits can be copied to the local data-store of the esxi host using vSphere. After this is there a way to issue esxcli software install commands on the esxi hosts connected to vSphere?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Update Manager (if you have vCenter Server): Understanding Update Manager

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

See, either you can use ESXCLI or update manager. there is no other way to install the drive.

Through esxcli below are the command for offline driver and vib install.

esxcli software vib install -d /path/offline-bundle.zip

esxcli software vib install -v /tmp/vibname.vib

Through update manager you need to create baseline and group. Then you have to attach the basline to specific host and then remediate to proceed to install and then reboot.

Note: Make sure host in maintenance mode before proceed

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
abby21
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks , the VMware vSphere HTML webclient Update Manager option to remediate a ESXi host seems to be the way.

However to create a baseline there is a prerequisite to load a ESXi ISO image.

Create a Host Upgrade Baseline in the vSphere Web Client

Can we create a custom baseline without loading a ISO image? If not, then does it mean that to update any vib via Update manager, it is mandatory to have an ISO of the ESXi host?

Also are pre-defined baselines available with ESXi 7.0 GA vibs (Critical Host Patches (Predefined)) ?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Are you meaning with vSphere WebClient the flashbased Web GUI when connected to vCenter? If so than VUM (VMware Update Manager) is the right tool as mentioned above.

If you mean connecting directly to the Host with a Broser than this is the Host Client. I havent much experience here but i have read about that you can add VIBs (vSphere Integrated Bundle) with that one too.

But again... VUM is the way to got. Upload the *.zip under Patches and than create a "extension" Baseline. You than need to Add the Baseline on the effected Host or Cluster/DC/vCenter level.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to Update Manager.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

See, Update manager is tool which is integrated with VCSA where you can use for upgrade ESXi using ISO or offline bundle , esxi patching, vmtools upgrade etc... You can upload the patches, offline bundl, ISO image, and  create own custom baseline, groups and attach to the host for remediation to install or upgrade the hosts..  Predefine is default baseline which available in all version of vCenter. You can create your own based on your requirement.....

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos