VMware Cloud Community
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Applying vSphere 5.0 Update 1

Hi Folks,

I have done upgrade from vSphere 4.x to vSphere 5.0. But unfortunately I never done software updates like applying update 1 for existing vsphere 5.0 etc.

I just want to clarify is this the same process similar to 4 to 5  upgrade like first run vcenter setup on existing vcenter and use update manager for esxi and VMs? or it difference in anyway?

Please help me to clarify the process.

Thanks a lot...

Best Regards,

Hari.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Although an update of vCenter Server 5.0 to Update 1 is not necessarily required in this case (see http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php) I still recommend it.
I did the same last weekend in my test environment which worked flawlessly. I first updated vCenter Server, followed by the other installed components (i.e. vSphere Client, Update Manager, Web Access, ...) After updating the Update Manager Add-In I created a fixed "ESXi 5.0 Update 1" baseline (that's my preferred way) and updated the hosts. Once done you can plan/schedule the update of VMware Tools for the VMs.
André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Although an update of vCenter Server 5.0 to Update 1 is not necessarily required in this case (see http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php) I still recommend it.
I did the same last weekend in my test environment which worked flawlessly. I first updated vCenter Server, followed by the other installed components (i.e. vSphere Client, Update Manager, Web Access, ...) After updating the Update Manager Add-In I created a fixed "ESXi 5.0 Update 1" baseline (that's my preferred way) and updated the hosts. Once done you can plan/schedule the update of VMware Tools for the VMs.
André
0 Kudos
gaspipe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, it's the same as you described - upgrade vCenter and then use Update Manager to upgrade hosts and VMs.

vSphrere Upgrade guide

VUM administration guide

haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your response.

0 Kudos
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

André Pett wrote:

After updating the Update Manager Add-In I created a fixed "ESXi 5.0 Update 1" baseline (that's my preferred way) and updated the hosts.

A.P I'm new VUM, would you be so kind as to confirm what patch one would use for this?

VMware ESXi 5.0 Complete Update 1 would seem appropriate but the fact the product says embeddedEsx 5.0.0. concens me - is this only for embedded ESXi versions?

any advice would be much appreciated,

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are on the right track, the patches are  named "embedded" (has always been like this for installable and embedded). Since the Updates are cummulative packages (containing all previous patches) you may order the patches by date and select all the ones with the latest time stamp.

André

0 Kudos
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  Just to confirm, are you saying to select all the patches released on the 15/3/12?

I did wonder if the update i mentioned above would suffice as it was listed as a 'roll-up' - i thought perhaps this was a bundle of all the updates?

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
0 Kudos