vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Air Gaped VMWare

Posted May 13, 2014 12:29 PM

I have 2 airgapped networks and the only way to get files into the secure network is to use SFTP (very slow) the secure network does not have any internet access itself. I have setup UMDS on a VM in our corporate network and have set it to download the vum files my concern is that it is downloading all files for all version of vsphere I only require updates for 5.1 is there a way to export only those relevant to me and not all patches downloaded?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

• 2.  RE: Air Gaped VMWare

Posted Aug 12, 2014 09:32 PM

When I first installed VUM 4.0 I asked VMware support much the same question and got this as part of the answer:

Unfortunately, there is no way to filter downloading patches by version.  All ESX (Embedded, 3.0.3, and 3.5.0) patches are downloaded by UMDS.  After testing I have found that you can go into the directory of the downloaded patches and remove all the 3.0.3 and Embedded packages PRIOR to doing the export and then perform the import only 3.5.0 patches are imported.  The <EnableDownloadAllUpdate> tag in the vci-integrity.xml is only on the VUM server but my testing showed this tag does not affect the import process.  The only thing that changes what imports is what is was exported.  So on subsequent releases only new patches are being exported that is all that is imported.

I was hoping this would be an improvement with VUM 5, which I'm just getting around to installing today.

So before every export, I go into the downloaded patches folder and remove everything I don't want to export.  Crummy way to "filter", but it works with VUM 4.

UMDS 5.5 allows filtering what "supported platforms" will be downloaded (hurray!) but I don't see any options for filtering what is exported from the downloads.

If you only want 5.1 patches, you have to tell UMDS to only download for "embeddedEsx-5.1.0":

vmware-umds.exe -S  --disable-host

vmware-umds.exe -S -e embeddedEsx-5.1.0