VMware Horizon Community
velkeneersd
Contributor
Contributor

thindirect on 64bit IE

Is there a possibility to install the thindirect plugin on a 64bit IE?

We have users who accidentially run the 64bit IE and then thindirect does not kick in.

grtz

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

• Could you please let us know which is the version of IE you are testing with?
  • Also Could you also let me know on which OS are you testing this?

GURU

Views expressed in here are my own.
0 Kudos
velkeneersd
Contributor
Contributor

I have a virtual ie8 and on soma machines ie8 native on others ie9 native.

tests are on windows 7 x64

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

>>Is there a possibility to install the thindirect plugin on a 64bit IE?

>>I have a virtual ie8 and on soma machines ie8 native on others ie9 native.

>>tests are on windows 7 x64

Currently ThinDirect won't work for you for virtual IE8 and native IE8/9 combination even on Win 7 32 bit (so it's not a 64 bit issue), it's a Vista+ issue, the reason being the integrity levels. In ThinApp 4.7.3 it is going to be fixed so you would have to wait for that to come out. Also, when using 4.7.3 you would have to load the ThinDirect.dll through system i.e. use "ExternalDLLs=ThinDirect.dll" setting in the package.ini for virtual IE8.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Pankaj and Velkeneersd,

I happened to verify the scenario on Win 7 64 bit. A thindirect was done to www.facebook.com when the native browsers were IE 8 and IE 9. The capture of IE 8 was done on Windows XP sp3 which was just a capture of upgrade from IE 6 to IE 8 only.

• Velkeneersd, When you said that the thindirect does not kickin, does that fail with both IE8 and IE9 as native browsers?
  • For me a thindirect from native IE8 to virtual IE8 happened without any issues.
  • But when I did the same scenario a thindirect from IE 9 to IE 8, it worked on some machines and not on some. I happened to browse to see if there exists any solution or if a similar problem exists for other applications i.e. the application window does not come up while the processes are running.
  • One suggested solution was to execute "netsh winsock reset" from command prompt as administrator; then reset the tuntime machine and try launching the same application all over again.
  • After performing the above step, I retried the scenario of launching IE 9 and entering the URL of www.facebook.com for the thidirect to kickin. It did launch the IE8 without any issues and the facebook.com was found opened in IE 8 without any issues.

GURU

Views expressed in here are my own.
0 Kudos
velkeneersd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pankaj,

The scenario you describe does work for me. The issue i'm talkikng about is when i launch the native ie x64. when i launch the native ie 32bit everything (almost everything) works fine.

KMGP, I do have an issue with my package. when i use ie8 native my helpdesksystem works fine, when using ie9 native i have a problem. thindirect launches the virtual ie (and i see my virtual ie8) but some script of the helpdesksystem is blocked causing this to give an error.

I could try your solution to see if it helps

0 Kudos