VMware Horizon Community
NeilBarnes
Contributor
Contributor

office updates on thinapped package

Is there anyway of not having to rebuild the entire office package when it comes to doing updates for office. We want to use side by side updating method. I cant see anyway of launching the thinapped word for example and then getting office to update to do a sbmerge?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You cannot today apply MS Office updates to the package it self. If you are looking for capture only the updates in one separate package you'll have to start Setup Capture on a VM with Office installed, and run the update during Setup Capture. This way would you would only capture the updates. Then you could AppLink this update package. Normally do you not apply these kinds of updates using AppLink, but it is possible to do so.

I keep an snapshot of my MS Office capture where I can go back to before post snapshot and create a new version of the whole package when needed.

0 Kudos
NeilBarnes
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that was the way I had been doing it for other packages, sadly because we have exe shortcuts in a redirected startmenu (using symbolic links) to the office package, when we update and put the .1 file into the shared folder and run the exe the thinapped word for example comes back with a error, and from what i have been told side by side cannot work like this due to the package completely changing.

Changing the exe as well isnt really practical  to the solution.

So applink could still work in this situation?

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No, no.. Side by side should work even if it a completely new package.. You must have something else going wrong.. Are the Entry Points in both packages refering to the same Source, e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Winword.exe?

0 Kudos
NeilBarnes
Contributor
Contributor

I am using .dat for office and this is named the same everytime "MSOfficeProPlus Data", I dont change anything else. 

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, and that is correct but the Entry Point for Word for example.. Is it using the same path to WinWord.exe in both packages? What I am really asking is winword.exe installed in the same location in both Data Containers?

0 Kudos
NeilBarnes
Contributor
Contributor

Yes everything is the same. 

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Then I cannot understand why side-by-side updates doesn't work. Sounds like you are doing everything right.. Pelase have a look at these blog posts just to verify everything is correct..

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2012/01/in-place-update-using-a-separate-data-container.html

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2012/01/in-place-update-usage-in-practice.html

0 Kudos
NeilBarnes
Contributor
Contributor

After some testing I have found that office does indeed update side by side no problem, IF I havent activated it. As soon as I activate the product (MAK key)

then when I run the Word Exe for example after adding the .1 it will then come up with this error. Firstly comes up with the Yellow MS Office "Please wait while setup prepares the necessary file" then after sometime

"MS Office Pro 2010 cannot verify the license for this application, a repair attempt failed or was cancelled by the user. The application will shut down" 

0 Kudos