VMware Horizon Community
DavidB201110141
Contributor
Contributor

low speed when access a lot of files

Hi.
I'm trying to virtualize a program made by our company.

A big problem is that it accesses a lot of its files (reading and writing), so many times it's very slow (3 to 5 times).
I used the default settings in ThinApp (no compression for example).
Oh and even if I'm not allowed to do this, I tried to move those files into the "real" computer (to see if there is an improvement), but the program can't access them correctly.

Is there something that can be done...?
Thank you.

Best regards, David

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

David,

You mean to say your native application takes 3 to 5 minutes? How about the ThinApp?

How are you distributing the ThinApp to other machines? What's the error you getting?

0 Kudos
DavidB201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Not 3 to 5 minutes but 3 to 5 times slower (compared to the situation when it is not virtualized).

I make an msi installer and I don''t receive an error. Just that is very slow...

Sorry my english Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

1. Can you give more information on what kind of Application it is please.

2. Where is the sandbox located? Can you confirm whether it is on a network share or user profile (%appdata%\Thinstall\Appname)?

3. Are there any improvements when you launch the ThinApp second time?

0 Kudos
DavidB201110141
Contributor
Contributor

1. It's making some sort of database (but not in an usual format). It scans a few hundred of its text files (some were modified manually with another part of the program), makes small modifications in some of them, generates some temporary files and then builds a large file.
2. User profile.
3. There is a difference but very small: 5..10%.

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is you user profile is redirected to network (i.e. using GPO?)

What Version of thinApp are you using?

>>Oh and even if I'm not allowed to do this, I tried to move those files into the "real" computer (to see if there is an improvement), but the program can't access them correctly.

Sorry but I do not understand; what do you mean by this? You moved ThinApp package to a physical machine (i.e. not VM)?

0 Kudos
DavidB201110141
Contributor
Contributor

No, it's not redirected to network.

I used so far 4.6.1. I tried to recompile the project using build.bat in 4.6.2 but it was worst: the virtualized application froze when I tried to make it compile that "database". I waited many minutes... The HDD was accessed continuously and one of the processors was at 100%.

I will try to recapture all again in 4.6.2, maybe it will solve...

No, I mean I tried to move those text files (who are accessed frequently) outside of the virtual environment. But the program can't access them properly. Anyway, even if this would of worked,  it's not an option to me because I have to virtualize all files.

0 Kudos
DavidB201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the double post...

I recaptured the program in Thinapp 4.6.2, no change.

So with 4.6.1 is very slow and with 4.6.2 is not working...

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is strange, I never found this with many application I worked with. Slow disk access just in case of ThinApp. (and you said its 3-4 times slow)

>>No, I mean I tried to move those text files (who are accessed frequently) outside of the virtual environment. But the program can't access them properly. Anyway, even if this would of worked,  it's not an option to me because I have to virtualize all files.

This could be because those file's parent folder's isolation mode is set as writecopy/full. (check attributes.ini in the folder).

0 Kudos
DavidB201110141
Contributor
Contributor

>> This could be because those file's parent folder's isolation mode is set

>> as writecopy/full. (check attributes.ini in the folder).

Thank you but I already tried with "DirectoryIsolationMode=Merged" on all folders/subfolders where those files resides and it didn't worked. It's not that the program can't see the files, it sees them but somehow there is a problem. Anyway I already said that this is not an option for me so I see no point in exploring it further...

0 Kudos
doofkopf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

i have made the same experience.

You can try to Virtualize only a A43 Explorer and copy many File´s from your Disk. In many Times the A43 Crashes.

Wen you make a Script and copy the same Files with a delay from only 1ms after any copy, the Script runs without Problems.

It seems to be a Problem with the Thinapp.

After first tests with the 4.6.2 ist seems to be better.

0 Kudos